Euthanasia/boxer response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxr_lvr

Boxer Booster
We have to euthanize our elderly cocker spaniel. We have a
1 1/2 year old boxer. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this? I hate to watch Emma wander around the house/yard looking for Sammi Jo. I don't know if I should just leave with Sammi and not bring her back or if it would be better for my husband to take her out the door and then leave, or what. I don't know if it is best to take both of them to the vet and leave Sammi and come home with Emma. Would that help Emma to not have a connection of losing her at home? Any/all suggestions are welcome at this point. Thanks guys!

Aimee

Boxer Insane
I am so sorry about Sammi Jo..loosing a furbaby is most difficult and watching your others grieve afterwards is also difficult. Each dog is different and grieve their own way yet in alot of ways it's similar. When we had to put Garrett down a year ago, Lexi had never known life without him. Garrett was elderly and was never a playmate yet we never realized until after his passing what companionship he actually brought her. We took Garrett to the vet and left Lexi and Baxter (who we had just recently adopted through rescue) at home. They could both feel the stress and devestation we were feeling after the fact and Lexi constantly searched the house for Garrett but it took a few days for her to realize I think that he wasn't coming back. He had been at the vets before for several days at a time because he had been sick but he always came home. I think she continued to think he was coming back for several days. She did grieve and lost a bit of her appetite but she had Baxter to help console her. We were lucky we got Baxter when we did as we didn't know that Garrett was going to go downhill so quickly. He brought her much comfort and companionship. Just give Emma lots of love and attention for the first week and hopefully she will adjust without Sammi Jo. Be prepared as Emma will search for her but she will eventually begin her grieving process and heal just like we do. Again, my heart goes out to you and I am so sorry that you are faced with this. Please keep us posted.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I am so sorry to hear about Sammy Jo.

I would take Emma with you to the vets office. I know this sounds a bit morbid, but I would let Emma see and sniff at the body. I have heard that if you do this, Emma will understand that Sammy Jo will not be coming home. It won't stop her from grieving, but at least she won't keep looking for Sammy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.