Equine Chiropractic & Acupuncture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courtknee202

Boxer Booster
I'm a huge huge fan of equine chiropractors. I have mine out every 6 weeks when show season is in full swing, and my horse loves it. Your guy might be a little sore for a few days afterwards, but you will notice a huge difference!! If he still seems ouchie, you may want to have his hocks checked.

We english riders know how to cut loose and run :) Speed classes are my specialty! It's a bit like barrel racing...but over fences. The barn I board at currently the owner does barrels, now I'm not quite sure of the different levels because I ride jumpers and know zilch about barrel racing but I know she shows in the NBHA and also on the Appy circuit and has won a couple National or maybe it was World titles. I hopped on one of her QHs the other day and took him for a spin, what a huge change from my jumper!

beachshoer

Boxer Booster
At first i thought equine chiro was a bunch of hooey but after having our 17.2 hnd hanoverian dressage horse done i can tell you it makes a huge difference in a stuck horse. Not as much as a good shoe job :) but with anything you have to keep doing it. Once you start with chiro. you cannot stop or you will go backwards fast. You must also do your research with chiropractors and don't be afraid to ask questions. There is nothing i like better than an educated owner.

ehayes21

Boxer Insane
Gin&Dex said:
I will admit that riding English DOES make you a much better rider in general. I think starting out riding English is the way to go.
Totally agree! I think it's definitely helped me with my seat, which comes in handy when you are trying to stay on the back of a cutting horse!

Gin&Dex

Super Boxer
Courtknee202 said:
We english riders know how to cut loose and run :) Speed classes are my specialty! It's a bit like barrel racing...but over fences. The barn I board at currently the owner does barrels, now I'm not quite sure of the different levels because I ride jumpers and know zilch about barrel racing but I know she shows in the NBHA and also on the Appy circuit and has won a couple National or maybe it was World titles. I hopped on one of her QHs the other day and took him for a spin, what a huge change from my jumper!

Oh yes, I know!!! I've seen it.... it looks like a heck of a lot of fun, but also scary as heck too!

So what did you think about the barrel racing??? It is quite different, isn't it??? :) I hope you had a good time!!

Like I said, I think English riders, ESPECIALLY jumpers are so much better riders!!! I can handle jumps (about 4 feet) but I like to have breeches that have the suede on the knees and butt.... I just feel more secure that way! LOL! There isn't much to an English saddle-- and I have to add I was jumping in a Hunter saddle!!! A very slick Hunter saddle..... lol ! :)

Rowdy Boys

Completely Boxer Crazy
I am so happy to see other horse lovers on the board. I have found that dog lovers and horse lovers go hand-in-hand. There is one show we attend several times a year where I met another boxer owner... in fact, she also has three boxers - just like us. We actually met because we were staying at the same hotel - our rooms were next to each other. Six boxers at the same hotel.

The last time I was on the board (over two years ago) our daughter had only been riding for a year. After we were transferred and we confirmed she was committed to riding, we got serious about it. She turned 11 in May and she just completed her third year of riding.

Last fall our trainer had an equine chiropractor out to the barn to treat a handful of horses, but since we knew he was coming, several boarders signed up to have him take a peek at our horses as well.

One owner's horse in particular (5 yr. thoroughbred - never raced or even trained) needed to be adjusted. He was fine for several months after that but he needed to be adjusted again this spring. He moved the best he ever has after each adjustment. He's been having some issues again lately and given the timing of his past adjustments, he's probably due for another treatment.

I was actually at the barn when the chiropractor came out last fall and it was really neat to watch.

BRENDA

Flying Fur

Boxer Booster
Sidhewlf: If you don't mind my asking, did your friend go to school/take classes or was it like an apprenticeship?

*sigh I'm jealous you all have horses :) I haven't ridden since I sold my horse (which *eeek!* was a little over 10 years ago-my parents had no desire to take over for my while I went away to school..and now that I am one I no longer hold a grudge lol). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to experience that flying free feeling from being on the back of a horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.