1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

epilepsy and seizures

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by wolfwalker_3, Jul 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfwalker_3

wolfwalker_3 Boxer Pal

hi this is Teri in Texas my 8 year old boxer girl has epilepsy was just looking for some one that might share in this problem.the vet haas her on medication but would like to talk about what to exspect next or know if there is any thing eles i can do to help her

2. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

3. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

Hi Teri
    I am curious as to whether your boxer is still experiencing seizures since you started the seizure medication. As well what medication is your boxer taking. I ask this as most seizure med levels can be checked through blood work, and if she is still experiencing seizures then I would have the drug levels checked by your vet. Sometimes it is a matter of adjusting the dosage somewhat. It is important though to find the lowest, effective daily dosage.
    Also another note, when I worked with human epileptics we found that increase in seizures was also seasonal related. Spring and fall seemed to be times of year here for them, so levels were always checked during those seasons and dosages adjusted accordingly. Just some food for thought on that. That is why I am a great believer in keeping a diary on your boxer as I suggested to lester. Locating the triggers of seizures is a great way of controlling them, or at least being aware that, weather or a certain activity for instance during that day, could trigger a seizure.

Good luck and please follow through on reading the sites I posted for lester.

Jean

4. wolfwalker_3

wolfwalker_3 Boxer Pal

thank you Jean

Jean they gave her phenobarbital we just started it to day. so I am watching her very closley i just hope it helps her should know in a day or two. did i reply to this in the right place i hope so if not plz let me know thank you from Teri in Texas.

5. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

Hi teri
    LOL yes you posted your reply in the right spot . You are right it will take a couple of days to get the drug into her system in order to work well. Keep a close eye on her, and note if she seems too lethargic. What dosage did they start her on? Buddy leveled out at 120 mg daily, with the largest dose given at bedtime. Work with your vet until you get the dosage set at a comfortable level for her. I wish you all the best. I will help you as much as I can, although my experience is limited to only Buddy and other than that working with epileptic humans, but I do have a good listening ear. Keep me posted.

Jean

6. Basse&Dalie's Mom

Basse&Dalie's Mom Boxer Pal

Hi Teri & Jean

I just read this and wanted to ask if they put your dogs on any other "drug"? Dali was diagnosed with epilepsy in January. It was quite scary at first, she had 2 small seizures and then a great big one that we had to rush her to the animal hospital.

They have her on Phenobarbital ; 180mg (3pills) in the morning and 120mg (2pills) in the evening and 3cc. of potassium bromide every evening.

She was then diagnosed with a thyroid problem in February. So she takes Eltroxin. 2 pills every morning and evening.

She also has allergies and takes Vanectyl P. 2 pills every morning and evening.

Because of the Vanectyl P the other drugs need to be at a higher quantity... They told us that this is reducing her life expectancy. She's only 2 1/2 and we worry every time she has a seizure. I really don't want to lose my baby.:(

Let me know if you've ever heard of any other drugs for epilepsy... and good luck Teri with your baby Bendew.

7. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

Hi Linda
    I never used any other meds for Buddy's seizures, but I do know there are numerous choices, valium being one of them. If you are unsure or worried talk it over with your vet, and see about the alternatives.
    I am sorry to hear about the problems your poor little furbaby is having Please keep us posted!

Jean

8. boxer4

boxer4 Boxer Insane

Hi Teri, when did she first have her first seizure, my vet told me when a dog starts having seizures when they are older like 7 or up it probably isn`t epilepsy but some other problem causing the same. Our Duke started having seizures at 11 the diagnosis was a brain tumor, the meds were the same, pheno and valium when he got worse. It may be worth it if you could get a CAT scan or a MRI so they could determine the cause. I only say this because I waited too long and didn`t have either because he got too weak to transport, I will always wonder if the tumor may have been able to be operated on if I had done so.

9. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

Hi Linda
    I did a search and found a thread that also gives links to sites about thyroid and seizures. Read the whole thread as numerous people gave different links to read. One site discusses the connection between thyroid and seizures. I do hope this helps. Also don't be afraid to print out any pertinent information to show to your vet. I do it all the time, and for the most part he appreciates my input.

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5945&highlight=Gretas Story

Jean

10. wolfwalker_3

wolfwalker_3 Boxer Pal

she is doing good

Hi this is Teri and Bendew the vet put her on phinobarb 32.5 mg tab 1 and a half pills tow times a day we tried to lower it but she got worse:( so he had us up it again, it is like clock work to give it to her .she knowes when it is time ,we got her at the local shelter 7 mons a go and i guess she had been having them all a long , she is 8 years old.on the meds she does good.he said we might have to up the dose as we go but what ever it takes to give her a good life.thanks Teri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.