1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

English Bulldog Puppy OK with My Boxers?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by packblt, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. packblt

packblt Completely Boxer Crazy

Received an email from a client today saying that her brothers stepson needs to rehome his 7 month old english bulldog puppy. Turns out they are expecting a baby (unplanned) and now realize they won't have enough room(or money) in their tiny Brooklyn apartment for the dog and a baby.

It makes me mad that people could just rehome their dog because a baby is coming but it is not the pups fault and maybe they are really heart broken about it. The pup is 7 months old and not yet neutered (possibly a money issue) but they would be willing to have it done if he were to have a home lined up.

So I am wondering if anyone has experience with raising these two breeds together. The pup is a male and I have a 5.5 year old male boxer and 5 year old female boxer. I know the two breeds are opposites as far as energy levels but my boxers really aren't a very high energy pair and do well with other dogs. They have recently (the last few weeks) graduated to not being crated overnight and when I'm out for only a few hours. I do still crate them when I go to work which is about 4 to 7 hours depending on the day but some days I work from home or am only out for 2-3 hours in the afternoon.

My family wants me to let him meet our pups to see if it could be a good fit. Any advice, ideas or info are welcomed:)

2. packblt

So I read some old posts and it appears that other than activity level they should be ok together. Would still like any thoughts on adopting this pup.

3. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

I know of two homes with both breeds and they do wonderful together, as do many of the bully breeds. I wouldn't think twice about a free english bulldog puppy!!!

4. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Ditto!! :) I used to pet-sit an English Bulldog puppy, he and Caney always had a blast playing together! They are a tough breed and can take the rough play-style of boxers. True that they are not generally as active as boxers, but considering the bulldog is 7 months and your boxers are 5 years old they might be a really good match as far as their energy levels. Overall I think that as long as there are no personality clashes between all dogs involved they should do just fine together.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  5. packblt

I'm waiting to hear if he is crate trained, potty trained to outside and what his name is. I was trying not to get too excited in case they changed their mind about rehoming him but that's not possible, lol. I'm already wondering where i will put his bowl, what size harness he will need, what he is currently eating and what we should switch him to. No, not too excited!

They said they would have him neutered next week and bring him out to meet my guys when he is healed; i guess it's better to have him neutered before meeting my guys. They also mentioned shots? What shots would he need at 7 months?

I really didn't think I would ever want any pups that were not boxers but from what I have read it seems that he may be a nice addition even though I wasn't planning to add any pups just yet.

I have a picture of him on my phone, I just need to figure out how to post it here:)

6. packblt

7. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

OH MY GOSH!!!! What a wrinkly cutie pie!!! Sending positive vibes it all works out!

8. packblt

Keeping our fingers crossed and hoping I'm not getting in over my head!

9. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

Well, besides the wrinkle maintenance, I don't see this pup being any more needy than the boxers!!! Same rules for hot/cold outside, same rules for wiping down if allergies present, same type of over the top displays of energy and then crash........I think you are gonna really enjoy having him as a buffer to wild-to-mild boxers! LOL

10. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

He's so CUTE! I hope he works out! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.