1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emma's story

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Buster Brown, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Boxer Buddy

Three years ago a friend of mine, K, bought a boxer for her daughter for Christmas. This was before I knew K. and before I knew anything about boxers. Anyhow, in the meantime, I found my Buster who goes everywhere with me, including to work somedays and so everyone knows I'm boxer crazy. Last month K. told me her daughter wanted to get rid of her boxer, Emma, because Emma had started running away and wondered if I could help. I found out that K's daughter S. kept Emma outside in the yard 24-7. We all know boxers will go looking for friends if they don't find them at home.

I agreed to help--without seeing the dog. (Anybody else see where this story is going???) A local boxer rescue agreed to take Emma and a volunteer picked her up and drove 2 hours to deliver this dog. Next thing I know I get an email from the boxer rescue director telling me Emma isn't a boxer :eek: and telling me I had to come get her.

So I tell this to my friend K. who is an angel but who hadn't done her research. She bought the dog for $100 and no papers. Can you say byb and big time fraud? Still K. insisted that Emma looked like my Buster.

I found a foster home for Emma and headed out to get her. When I saw her I had to agree she wasn't a boxer, but I guessed she was probably a boxer/retriever mix. She has flash in all the right places but her fur, her face (except for her eyes), and her golden color are more like a retriever.

And now here comes the happy ending...we got Emma cleaned up and got her shots (she had never ANY vet care previously and was amazingly healthy despite it) and I started sending emails to everyone I knew. Fortunately, Emma was adopted by an amazing woman who has two dogs and a big fenced yard, but keeps her dogs in the house and feeds them organic dog food, allows them on the furniture and in her bed and I think Emma still hasn't figured out what hit her!!!

Let me say I would not do this the same way again. My intent was to go through a bona fide rescue--they have the experience and resources, but I'm glad it all worked out.

It's a cautionary tale about BYBs and about making sure you see the dog before you rescue her. :o I would have helped her anyhow--but we could have skipped the trip she made to the boxer rescue!

2. hanley

hanley Boxer Insane

Thanks for your kindness!

Bless you for helping Emma,a true Angel! Such a happy ending for Emma,I bet she thinks, she died & went to heaven! Hanley

3. marciafinn

marciafinn Boxer Insane

I'm glad to hear you helped Emma find her forever home. I am sure she is psyched to have found such a wonderful place to call her own home. :)

4. GinsMomma

GinsMomma Boxer Insane

So glad to hear Emma's story had a happy ending:) I can only imagine what she looks like, being Boxer & retriever mixed, not like a full blooded Boxer for sure. wackicon I am so happy for Emma, things could have gotten alot worse for her, like going to an animal shelter.

5. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Boxer Buddy

GinsMomma: Yes I was very afraid that Emma would go to a kill shelter and wouldn't make it. Especially since she needed EVERYTHING--shots, spaying, dewormed etc.

She is incredibly sweet and I'm going to look at the rules again to see if it's ok for me to post a picture of her (since she is not my dog) to see if you agree with my guess of boxer/retriever.

6. lafsalot

lafsalot Boxer Insane

So glad that you were able to find Emma a permanent home. Can't wiat to see the pics of her ~ Cathy

7. natrhymer

natrhymer Boxer Booster

Thanks so much for doing what was right for Emma! It sounds like you found a great forever home for her -- good for you AND for Emma!

8. Murp.mm

Murp.mm Boxer Insane

Emma

I bet Emma is in doggie heaven. She doesn't know what hit her. Bless you and the lady who adopted her. Good job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.