Emma hit adolescence hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxr_lvr

Boxer Booster
Emma is now nine months old as of January 3rd. She is definitely into her adolescent period!!! :( She chewed up the television remote control, won't come to us and plays "keep away" when we have to leave for work, and for me, the worst is she barks at me to get my attention. She will stand and bark loudly and sharply at me even when I give her my attention, especially whenever I am on the computer! She wants my attention 24/7. I just got promoted to a new position and work harder and have lots of overtime every day and into the weekend. So, my patience and energy levels have really bottomed out. I come home too tired to give her an abundance of attention. I just want to collapse and relax. The weather hasn't helped because it has been cold and rainy here, so she won't go out in the rain for walks. And I am too tired to go out in the rain and cold myself. I love her very much and would love to spend every minute with her. I wish I could. But for the next few weeks it will be like this. I was going to start her in obedience training to try to help the situation but I started this new position last week. With my work schedule the way it is, there is no way I can make the class times. I know that training and exercise are the two best things for her right now, but they are also the two things I don't have time/energy for. :( Thanks for listening to me whine and vent.

ninersneal

Super Boxer
I remember it well! Roxy did the same thing. She just turned one Dec 23 and those days are now a distant memory, thank God! Has Emma been spayed? It seems as soon as Roxy went into heat she was fine and is now a very well behaved young lady.

bxr_lvr

Boxer Booster
Emma has an appointment with the "V.E.T." on February 2nd to get spayed (shhh, don't want her to hear). Do you think that will help? The females in her line usually don't come into heat until real late, like about 18 months. But I want to get this taken care of before then. The way my life has been working lately, she'll come in season earlier than the other females in her line. She has just been such a little brat lately. :P

nanabear

Banned
I remember how it was when Mack was a "punky teenager". How did we live through it!?
I know you are tired when you get home and the last thing you want to do is go out in the rain and cold - but if you could give her even 15-20 minutes, it would really help.

Two things we did when we had just "had it" were to take him to a baseball field and throw a toy - he was not a great retriver, but he brings it back for a treat. *He* was running around.......*I* was standing in one place :)

Another thing we did was "borrow" a friends dog, same thing - the dogs ran around, we stood around. You will both feel better if you get some cold fresh air in your bloodstream.

April

Boxer Buddy
Are you sure it's not OUR puppy you have?

Oh Lori,

I feel your pain. Montgomery is 8 1/2 months old and is a total terror right now. Yesterday, he broke 2 nice vases while we were away at work. He also does the higher pitched bark at us when he wants to play! My husband and I work full time so we come home and feel the same way -- TIRED! We try to give him as much attention as we can, but it's just not enough for him! Lately, he's been waking up in the middle of the night (3am - 5am) and crying and banging on his "bedroom" (laundry room) door. Why? Because he'd rather sleep on the darn couch! AHHHH - last night was the first night he slept through the night in weeks. I think it's b/c he got in BIG trouble from Daddy when Daddy found the broken vases.

The funny thing is that we love our little stinker so much it's unbelievable. He is so silly and darling when he wants to be. I think he's just ready for us to retire from our jobs. (at 30? Right!)

Take care -- let's keep our fingers crossed that Montgomery and Emma pass through this phase soon.

Keep me posted on your progress.
TGIF
April

bxr_lvr

Boxer Booster
Thanks for the advice. I am trying.

April...I feel for you truly. I wouldn't trade her for a dozen other breeds. I love her dearly. I hope that I can just get settled in this job and have some more free time. It is budget time. I do have another dog, a cocker spaniel who is 11 yrs old. She gets tired of Emma trying to get her to play and "boxing" her in the face. This too shall pass!

samnkelli

Boxer Pal
UH-Oh...I just read this post and about lost my mind! Our 4 1/2 month old has been acting the EXACT same way...do we have to endure this for several more months until he grows out of it?? Oh god...Jackson ate the remote, our coffee table, our rug, and barks at us until we play with him...! He will NOT come back in the house when I come home at lunch to let him go potty....he just runs around like a buzz saw...spins in circles, digs around in the snow, some of it yellow, I might add...he doesnt care...he is just having a great time!!! evilicon
But when he settles down at night, gets sleepy and lays on my tummy and starts snoring while Im watching tv, I would do it all over again...I have never had a more adorable,handsome, affectionate dog in my life! Those are the times that make it all worthwhile! lovicon

I can't wait to see his cute little face tonight when I get home! Here's to a weekend with our boxers!! :D

Kelli
Proud owner of Jackson, born 8/25/00, fawn male, natural ears, got fixed on Monday..do you think that makes a difference??

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
Yikes you guys are scary me.

April

Why isn't your dog crated when you are at work? That seems much to young to be alone unsupervised.

Bxr-lvr

Why isn't your dog on a leash? If he/she hasn't been through training yet than how is he/she suppose to know the word "come". That is the hardest word for a dog to learn.

I think training is the key. Believe me I know what it is like to want to come home and collapse. I work full time (days) go to school full time (nights) and still find time to send with Megan both at home and with training classes. I have seen a tremendous difference in her since the obedience classes have started. They are worth it. Worth finding the time and worth the money. And I have seemed to have a lot less problems with her.

[Edited by malinda on 01-20-2001 at 01:29 AM]

bxr_lvr

Boxer Booster
Malinda

I had another post written out, but decided not to post it. If you will look at my original post, then you will see that I stated that the two best things for Emma right now are training and exercise. Your situation is most likely quite different from anyone else's. You might realize that in this world two people with identical circumstances will not have identical results. Also, there are many factors that affect a person's life that they may choose not to post on the internet for everyone to view. I am happy that you seem to have your life so together. However, even with some of the headaches that Emma is giving me right now I don't believe that I want to have her either on a leash or in the crate 24 hours a day just to make my life easier. If that works for you, then that is your decision. But please go easy on those of us that are imperfect. I agree that Emma is worth any trouble and I wouldn't trade her for a dozen of another breed. I think that you may have misunderstood when I said it was budget time. I was referring to the work I do, not to my personal finances, or lack there of. I apologize if we have scared you.

nanabear

Banned
Big hug to you, Bxr Lvr. That is what this is supposed to be........a place to ask for advice, share sillies and sadness - and to *just* vent! No one understands living with a goofy Boxer more than someone else who does it! You just were having a bad day and wanted to "dial-up" a friend or two and bitch. You're doing fine - and the week-end is here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.