eating grass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our two year old brindle has been doing his best impersonation of a cow for about a month now. He still eats his food for the most part, but the minute he is outside he is eating grass. Some days it comes back out undigested. Any suggestions on what might be wrong? Missing vitamins?

Thanks.

BXR MOM

Boxer Booster
Eating grass can be a sign of an upset stomach or thirst. Make sure your Boxer doesn't have either one of those. For an upset stomach sometimes I will give them one Pepto-bismal tablet.

If your Boxer continues to eat grass you will have to deal with the fact that they are part cow. Both of mine eat it all of the time. They especially like the long fresh green stuff they uncover from a pile of leaves, etc this time of year. My seven year old has been eating for as long as I can remember. She very rarely throws it up. My one-year old has taken after her sister "Monkey See- Monkey Do!. Her stomach however, isn't quite the iron stomach and occasionally I will catch her throwing it back up.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless your they stop eating their food!

re: grass eating

Thanks, Ann. We are okay with him being part cow, but sometimes he gets an awfully upset stomach that makes sounds similar to a star wars battle. I might try the pepto bismal, but I am not sure I want to clean that up! He usually eats his food, he didn't yesterday however and is pretty lethargic. But he perks up for a walk.

Alisha Mobley

Boxer Insane
I have read that eating grass can also be a sign that the dog is missing something in their diet. Try feeding green beans. Eating grass causes the dog to puke, green beans doesn't. Sheeba ate grass all the time last summer. I fed a can of green beans one night, she ate about 1/2 then left the rest. She wasn't too thrilled with them but also didn't eat any more grass. I don't see how 1/2 a can of green beans caused her to stop eating grass but I didn't change anything else. I guess it doesn't hurt to try.:)

Thanks Alisha, pepto bismal and green beans it is. I am not sure how he will take to that, or us for that matter if we have to clean it up out the other end. But its worth a try.

Thanks!

BXR MOM

Boxer Booster
I give Lexus the pepto bismal in the tablet form. Don't give the liquid, or else you will have an immediate mess. I am sure they don't like it as much as humans do. I too have often heard the star wars battles. Usually we have some smelly belches too. The pepto has never made her puke, I think it just settles her stomach. Another good sign to give a Pepto is when she won't even take a treat.

I hope your guy gets better soon!

B

Betty's mom

Betty sometimes eats grass and when I talked to the vet about this he said that it is a reaction.

Betty has been on Science Diet ID for 10 days now because she had the runs for 3 weeks. Finally her poop went solid and we can actually give her some treats thank goodness because we are trying to teach her to come and she won't even budge if there's no food! She never did throw up the grass just pooped it right out.

You might want to talk to the vet just to be sure.

jicksies

Boxer Booster
Cows....

I have three cows in my home...they eat grass every day...they actually graze out in the field behind my house...no adverse affects, no vomiting... they're just fine!

Thanks to all you boxer lovers, we feel a lot better now about a boxer who thinks he's a cow. Good to know there are more out there like him.

jrhodes

Boxer Buddy
All of my dogs, not just my boxers, but all my dogs over the years have always ate grass. I was told several reasons for it. For instance: Upset stomach, thirst, helps their digestion, the weather is going to change, or because it tastes good to them. It has never hurt our dogs, it has however made my husband have to physically help on of Boxers get a long undigested peice out (I thought it was kinda funny, she ran to him for help :o)). I have never worried aobut it so we let them chew away on it all they want, as long as they eat their food.
Joyce

Status
Not open for further replies.