Earthborn Holistic problem AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrystel

Boxer Insane
Guys...
I am .... very very mad....

So.
Oxford has been throwing up EVERY single morning since Tuesday. He otherwise acts like a happy boxer boy :) Play and rollerblade everyday.
His vomit is reddish in color.

This morning, again, I woke up in a jolt: Oxford is throwing up again.
Then I started thinking.....

Monday night, I bought a new bag of kibbles!!!! fainticon
On Monday, when I opened the bag, I noticed again that the kibbles were different.
Lighter color, a little bigger in size. I took a picture to compare: The darker colored ones are the previous bag. The lighter ones are the new ones.

earthborn holistic 12-10-12 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I don't know what to do!
It is not the first time I have issues with Earthborn. I am getting tired of it. At each new bag, I wonder if the kibbles are going to be ok.
During the summer, I thought to myslef that the Texan heat could cause issues during transportation. But we are in December, so this is not a good excuse anymore.

I am going this morning to return the bag and get new food.
I am thinking of getting a small bag of earthborn to allow for a switch, and trying something else.
But what? I cannot afford Fromms, Acana and such.
Already Earthborn was a stretch in the budget, especially with the new increase in their prices.

I had tried Horizon Pulsar last time, but dogs were super gassy...

I wish there was no problem with TOTW, because they were doing awesome on it... ***sigh**

I really don't know what to do :(

brodieboxer

Completely Boxer Crazy
I would go back to TOTW, until you find something you're happy with. The problems were mainly with the problem of salmonella being contracted by people handling it; not with the dogs. Just wash your hands well after touching it.

My boxer didn't do well on Earthborn either. I think it had such a high pea/pea fiber content, that it made his poo loose. The fact that you've had multiple problems with this kibble is worrisome.

Even though I'm usually an avid proponent of grain free (I was feeding TOTW Pacific Stream), my pet food store owner talked me into trying Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato, which has steel cut oats in it as its only grain. Surprisingly, Dempsey's doing great on it! He doesn't have gas, and his coat is getting softer. This formula is also fairly budget friendly ($51 for a 26 pound bag), and I can feed a little less of it than the TOTW.

Sansal

Boxer Insane
I went back to TOTW...... Definitely not my first choice but Happy developed allergies and she always did great on TOTW. I also can't spend $$$ for Orijen or Acana. In the end you have to do what's best for your dogs.

johann

Boxer Insane
I'd also go back to TOTW if they did well on it.

Not sure how affordable the regular Wellness line is (Core is pretty costly).

I hope he's back to normal soon.

chrystel

Boxer Insane
Thanks guys. You are making me feel better about thinking about TOTW again.
I was at the store and saw they have a "wild boar" formula! something different!

I may stop by tomorrow and get some TOTW... I shouldn't freak about the all Diamond thing, right?

I bought packs of chicken thighs for the time being.

Oxy doesn't want to eat. Poor baby :(

whiskers

Boxer Insane
I really like Merrick's food now. They did a complete reformulation recently and it's a nice option.

Does it have to be grain free? I used to be a big fan of grain free, but came to realize that most of them are really just full of potatoes and peas, so I don't mind feeding grains to a dog that doesn't show an intolerance.
Fromm Gold is a wonderful food, but it does have some grains in it. It is very reasonably priced though - here, a 33 pound bag of Fromm Adult Gold is like $45.

Not sure what your budget is and whatnot, but even Acana Wild Prairie is not too outrageous for the quality. 28.6 pound bag is $55, which is about on par with Earthborn's prices (here. Your local prices may vary of course!)

Cami

Boxer Insane
I have noticed the lighter color difference as well with Raine's food, Earthborn Coastal Catch.
But then something funny happens....
I have a glass container that holds about 3 days worth of kibble in which I keep in a kitchen cabinet. I buy 14lb bags and hate getting it out of the closet twice a day. When I open a new bag it is lighter but after being in the glass container, in a dark cabinet it turns back to the older darker color I am used to seeing! Must be related to exposure to air...opening and closing the container for feedings.
We have not had any vomiting issues but the looser stool returned this morning (not a new bag) but DH was on feeding duties since Friday night and he probably over fed her even though he swears he did not!
But....now that I am thinking about it.....my cat LOVES dog food and hubby gives pieces to her freely whenever Raine gets a piece of kibble as a treat (to come in from outside multiple times a day). My cat vomited up the exact color of the dog food. Hum.

chrystel

Boxer Insane
Thanks a lot everyone!
I am still trying to decide.

They have been on grain free for quite some time now. Snatch has allergies/intolerance to chicken, beef, wheat, corn. But I guess it doesn't have to be grain free. This could help my search :)

I think I will not try TOTW again. I am too afraid of Diamonds food.. I don't know..

So, I have in mind:
Acana Singles: duck or lamb
Merrick grain free: pork or duck
Fromm Four Stars: duck/sweet potato, pork/applesauce.

And there is also the Merrick Wilderness Blend that doesn't look bad at all...

Cami, this is interesting what you have noticed about the kibbles.. weird!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.