Ears

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Between 8-12 weeks old, I believe. Few, if any, vets will crop ears outside of that time frame - and they're unlikely to stand if done ealier/later than that.

Net45582

Banned
sadiesocks said:
How old are they when you crop them?
The breeder I am in contact with has them done at 8 weeks if the new owners want them done. He then keeps the pups an extra week to make sure everything gets started on the right track.

DixiesMomma

Boxer Buddy
gmacleod said:
Between 8-12 weeks old, I believe. Few, if any, vets will crop ears outside of that time frame - and they're unlikely to stand if done ealier/later than that.

This really frustrates me because Dixie will be at the 13.5 week mark when her ears are cropped. My vet would not fathom keeping her overnight without her having her 3rd set of shots. I got her first set when she was 6 weeks old and haven't missed an appointment yet, which brings me to my next question. Is my vet just dumb to ear cropping or was Dixie late on her first set of shots? I sure hope that it's not too late to train her ears to stand after the surgery!

abby's mum

Super Boxer
8-12 is most common but anywhere from 6-14 weeks is not out of the realm of possibility. I must ask though - why would your vet want your puppy overnight for an ear crop!? When I spay/neteur I wouldn't even have them stay overnight! Not to mention if you are doing the old fashioned 3 set of shots they are not ussually done until 16 weeks? Make sure this vet is competent is ear crops, is this the vet your breeder recomends and preferably uses? Good luck.

DixiesMomma

Boxer Buddy
My breeder didn't recommend squat! It was like "here's your dog, good luck" lol.
The vet I'm taking Dixie to has had a long history with my mom and dad for all of our dogs for 20 or so years back. So, I guess I picked him because he's the only vet I know. But since you mention it....I'm going to ask him how good his cropping skills are! I wish vets kept pics of past ear croppings! I'm not sure why he wants to keep her overnight though. I thought it was standard procedure so I didn't even question him. If this is not the 'usual' procedure for it, then I'm deffinatly going to check around with other vets and see what their procedure is. The last thing I want to do is put Dixie through any more than she is already going to have to go through with her ears.

Touzy

Boxer Booster
Our Vet kept Shaemus overnight because of the Anesthisa not because of the cropping, just to keep an eye on him and make sure he came out of it ok.
Shae was 8 - 10 weeks.. but it was kind of funny. One ear was great but the other flopped for two weeks. It seemed like it wasn't strong enough to hold the shape. As you can see he is fine. But I can tape up a wiggley puppy in 4 minutes flat without help :LOL:

abby's mum

Super Boxer
JMHO - it always seemed like a joke to me when vets try to tell you that our babies are better of in a strange crate ALONE ALL NIGHT then at home with their parents. I hardly think a vet tech looking in on them once or twice if your really lucky is good enough. My sister's Papilon just got spayed and they tried to insist upon her staying as this was "normally what they do". My sister said no way, this was non-negotiable and then the story changed and it was fine. My advice - stick to your guns - you know your pups best!

I can't believe the breeder didn't advise you on cropping. I assume you mustn't be cropping for show in that case? Anyway - good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

kassa

Boxer Insane
I agree -- puppy goes home same day with owner, unless it's a 24 hour facility with nursing care, and even then, what's the advantage unless there were complications during the surgery?

If nobody sees the pup between 9 pm and 7 am, that's useless. An owner can rush the pup to the emergency clinic at 2 am if necessary.

DixiesMomma

Boxer Buddy
Dixie went to the vet yesterday and had her ears done. I told the doctor that I didn't want her to have a super long show crop, but I didn't want it real short either. He was going to do them a medium-long. Well, he called me back after examining her and said that he would need to go a bit shorter than what he told me. He assured me they wouldn't be real short though. I called to check on her after the surgery and she was still a bit 'woozy' from the surgery but that she was doing well! I go pick her up today around 2pm, and I can't wait!!! I sure do miss my baby!!
I'll post pics of her tonight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.