EAR CROPPING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxerworld

BW owner
Staff member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Copper Hill Boxers:
The natural earred boy seems to always have scabs on the very tips of his ears, and I keep ointment on them. This is not something I have to worry about with the cropped dogs. The ears of the cropped dogs stay cleaner, as well...better air circulation, perhaps?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and didn't a president of the American Boxer Club say that boxers with cropped ears can hear better? Yeah right! :rolleyes:

I like the look of boxers with cropped ears, but I will never take the risk of an uncessary surgery. Several people lost their puppies because of a cropping ears surgery.

Olly

Well, I gotta agree with Linda and them. I like both looks. My current male, however, is uncropped. Even though I lost my puppy after ear crop surgery, the vet said he would have had the same reaction after his neuter. His, was a heart condition undetected by bloodwork. I must also agree that I do not care for uncropped Dobie's, but Boxers, to me, look great either way. I think they also look a lot less intimidating when they are floppy eared.
Jennifer :)

------------------
Pharaoh/Fawn/Black Mask
Born 9-8-96

www.geocities.com/jemjen24

For the "BOXERWORLD REG'S" PAGE ...CLICK THIS LINK...

www.geocities.com/jemjen24/boxerworldregs.html

Here you can see the Boxerwold REG's with their families and dogs

lfunk

Boxer Pal
I am relatively new to the boxer world, I just got my male pup Tyson three days ago. He is 6 weeks old with a docked tail. I think he is really cute looking, but I love the look of the cropped ears. I am uncertain if I want to have his ears cropped yet or not. Does anyone know the relative cost? I know there is alot of aftercare associated with the procedure and I was wondering how difficult is it to care for the wounds and keep the puppy from getting the bandages off? Does anyone know a vet that does the procedure in Pittsburgh, Pa? I am going to see a vet to get Tyson's first shots today so I am going to ask him, but I read in a magazine called Boxer put out by Dog Fancy that many vets are against this and many owners have to drive long distances to get it done. I am at a lost on what to do. :(

Suzanna828

Boxer Booster
It's definitely what your used to. The first two boxers I came in contact with had floppy ears. Thus, the first boxer I saw with cropped ears looked very strange to me. When we began looking to adopt I would have taken one either way. Personality and temperment were more important to us. I'll probably always rescue, but if I were to ever buy a puppy, I wouldn't crop. It's just a personal thing - to me they're cuter with floppy ears and, luckily, Jake's natural ears have had no problems (yet).

------------------
Suzanna - Mom to Jake, 2 year old fawn male, floppy ears, docked tail

Linda

Boxer Insane
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lfunk:
Does anyone know the relative cost? I know there is alot of aftercare associated with the procedure and I was wondering how difficult is it to care for the wounds and keep the puppy from getting the bandages off? Does anyone know a vet that does the procedure in Pittsburgh, Pa? I am going to see a vet to get Tyson's first shots today so I am going to ask him, but I read in a magazine called Boxer put out by Dog Fancy that many vets are against this and many owners have to drive long distances to get it done. I am at a lost on what to do. :(<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We cropped our first boxer's ears (8 years ago). I believe it was about $200. The vet that did ours, also did the aftercare. Which mean driving him to the vet 5 or 6 times after the procedure for retaping.

I think the vet did his ears way too short. That's one reason we opted not to crop our new puppy. I've seen some horrible results of cropping (flopped over ears, too tall, too short, one ear that won't stand...)

If you do decided to crop (and it's done between 9 and 12 weeks--the earlier the better), talk to some vets in your area. Get references for the vet you choose. Ask for pictures of dogs they've done. Take the vet pictures of cropped boxers you like the look of. Be sure you understand what you want and are informed about what you're getting into.
Good luck!

Chris

Boxer Pal
I agree with David on this one

Maybe you should ask why cropping is banned in many countries (UK, Australia for example)
Surely it is banned for a reason, unneeded pain being high on the list.

You've got to respect peoples choice though.
But if your puppy had a choice i know what he/she would say.................

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 08-23-2000).]

sandy oakey

Completely Boxer Crazy
Well I guess I'm one of the guys from across the water and I DID NOT have my Nino's ears cropped. Although I think Boxer's are beautiful either way, my vet told me it was very painful for them so I chose not to crop. They did a poll on Boxerworld some time ago asking if your Boxer's ears were cropped or uncropped, 70% (4,786) of the people responded UNCROPPED. My guess is that alot of these people were from across the water.

Kazz's Boxers

Super Boxer
Whether(sp) you choose to crop or not to crop your boxer is still a boxer. Personally after going back and reading the closed topic, i like both, it is a matter of opinion. Here in the US, I believe that it is part of the boxer standard if you are showing, but that is changing, there was a boxer with natural ears that made it to be a US Champion with natural ears.

A boxer with natural ears and a cropped boxer is still a boxer.

Melanie

------------------
Melanie
Bandit's Mom
Male, Fawn, Black Mask, White toes & white spot on Chest, Neutered, Floppy ears, Docked Tail, born 11/01/99
www.KazzsWhiseyBandit.homestead.com/homepage.html

Boxerworld

BW owner
Staff member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sandy oakey:
Well I guess I'm one of the guys from across the water and I DID NOT have my Nino's ears cropped. Although I think Boxer's are beautiful either way, my vet told me it was very painful for them so I chose not to crop. They did a poll on Boxerworld some time ago asking if your Boxer's ears were cropped or uncropped, 70% (4,786) of the people responded UNCROPPED. My guess is that alot of these people were from across the water. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone living outside the UK is from across the water.

Olly

DAVID

Boxer Pal
hi guys....I didn't realise I was going to stir up such a hornets nest with the ear cropping issue. My big pal Max has a docked tail. I don't necessarily agree with it. The breeder had it done when we went to see him. Tail or no tail, Max would still be a great dog. My concern when looking at some of the older puppy photos is that they look a few months old when they get the ears cropped. The dogs look distinctly uncomfortable with their ears bandaged and I wonder how long they may be feeling some discomfort with the cropping. I didn't mean any insult when I called you all "the guys across the water" but you are over there and I'm over on this wee island here in Scotland. Also apologies for the capital letters in my previous posting...I'm new to computers, I'll try and remember the rules

Status
Not open for further replies.