EAR CROPPING

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVID

Boxer Pal
WHY DO YOU GUYS FROM ACROSS THE WATER CROP YOUR DOGS EARS? I JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT I'M AFRAID. I THINK BOXERS LOOK MUCH MORE NATURAL AND ATTRACTIVE WITH THEIR EARS THE WAY THEY ARE. GIVE ME A BOXER WITH FLOPPY EARS ANY DAY. I'M SURE THE DOGS THEMSELVES WOULD AGREE WITH ME.

Linda

Boxer Insane
Boy - you're asking for it with this one!!
This is one of those deeply heated debates, and it's a lose-lose situation to discuss it. I don't think you'll ever get everyone to agree on it.

Personally, I like the look of a nicely cropped boxer. We've had 3 boxers --one cropped, 2 not. We chose not to crop our puppy for several reasons (I won't get into). But I don't judge those to choose to crop. I think it's a personal choice and should remain available. I think it's a shame that the AKC has continued to keep "cropped" as part of the breed standard, thereby making it necessary for conformation showing (but that's another discussion).

Krikkit

Boxer Insane
Hi David, good question, and one which is asked frequently by people in countries where cropping is illegal (including where I live :) ). I'm sure you did not mean to SHOUT your question though - writing in All Caps is considered to be shouting when communicating on the internet.

This is an extract from this site: http://www.chatelaine.com/experts/vet/earcropping.html
=====
The traditions of ear cropping and tail docking go back hundreds of years. The aim was to reduce the number of wounds and subsequent infections to ears and tails, which were easy targets in fighting dogs or in flock or guard dogs that had to ward off predators. These reasons are no longer valid in our companion animals.
=====
Ears are cropped in Boxers and many other breeds of dogs as it did have a practical purpose once and was written in the breed standard. The same with tail docking which is continued in most countries.

In America it is part of the Boxer Standared that the ears should be cropped for the showring. There have been 'natural' eared dogs finish their championship in the USA though and you can read about one of them here: http://www.boxerunderground.com/apr_bu_99/jerryrice.htm :)

The Ear Cropping topic always raises controversy and strong feelings when discussed on message boards and mailing lists etc. I will leave this topic open so everyone can have their say. To anyone who wants to reply, please keep your posts cool, calm and collected with no personal attacks or flames. Any post which gets 'personal' will be deleted. If the topic gets out of hand it will be closed. If you provide any info please back it up with facts.

Play nicely :)

[This message has been edited by Krikkit (edited 08-23-2000).]

C

ChrisM

Hello David,
Just wondering if they dock tails "across the water" where you are? My personal choice is natural ears for all three of my boxers. I do have to say however, that the cropped ears do add an air of distinction and elegance. I think that the key word here is -choice-. Choice and respecting the choices of others. Welcome to the board and give us a chance; we're a great group of yanks given the chance!

------------------

Mom to:
LADY - White female, natural ears. Rainbow Bridge February 2000
TESS - Flashy Fawn female, born Dec, 1999, natural ears
ZELDA - Semi-flashy Female, natural ears, born May 31, 2000
REBEL- White with dark brindle eye patch and ear. Born 6-27-00 Natural ears

Linda

Boxer Insane
One more comment...

I think some of this has to do with what you're used to seeing. If cropping is banned where you live, and you don't see a lot of cropped dogs, they would look unusual and out of place.
For example, in my opinion, an uncropped Doberman simply looks silly and not as distinguished. Whereas, I can appreciate both cropped and uncropped boxers! Guess it's one of those "boxer things." :)

And I agree with Chris--give us a chance. Don't hate us because we crop. ;)

HELENE

Boxer Insane
Hi David, I am not sure but I don't believe we have quite as many Boxers with cropped ears in Canada, I have even seen one or two with natural ears in shows. My sister who lives in Dorset, wrote that she has even seen a couple with long tails. are they getting more common now?

------------------
Sergeant. 6 in October. Light brindle, natural ears. Full of fun.

Linda

Boxer Insane
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HELENE:
My sister who lives in Dorset, wrote that she has even seen a couple with long tails. are they getting more common now?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to a boxer magazine I have...
The German boxer standard is that of a non-docked tail (since 1998) and non-cropped ears (since 1990). There is also talk of disallowing "non-German docked boxers" from being shown in Germany.

E

Elsa

I agree with Linda; the look of the cropped ears speaks elegance and a very regal look. If it were my choice alone to crop a future pup's ears though; I would not crop. But the look on the cropped ones is incredible!

------------------
-Elsa

Ruby- Flashy Fawn, Black Mask,Cropped, 5/1998

C

Copper Hill Boxers

As the current owner of 7 cropped adults, one natural earred adult,and a cropped puppy, I have to say I am also pro choice.While I prefer cropped boxers, I do think this is a matter for the owner to decide. The natural earred boy seems to always have scabs on the very tips of his ears, and I keep ointment on them. This is not something I have to worry about with the cropped dogs. The ears of the cropped dogs stay cleaner, as well...better air circulation, perhaps?

The people who get my puppies have the choice. If they want to crop, I recommend a vet and help them with the aftercare. For those who choose to not crop, I remind them to keep those ears clean and healthy. Either way is fine with me.

This is always a touchy subject. It's nice to see it being discussed with a positive point of view on both sides of the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.