Drooping eyes and holding mouth open

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooper22

Boxer Booster
River (2 years old) is having really weird symptoms that two different vets can't figure out. Last Wednesday night I noticed that River was holding his third eyelid up on his left eye. By Saturday I took him to the vet who stained his eye and examined him and couldn't find anything. We tried some antibiotic drops with no luck. By Sunday both of his third eyelids were up and his bottom eye lids were drooping so back to the vet. They did the pressures on his eye and really found nothing there either, but wanted to try some steroid eye drops. I have been doing those since last night, but tonight i noticed that his eyes are just the same as yesterday and now he is holding his mouth slightly open as well as if he can't really shut his mouth. I can take him back to the vet, but they just can't find anything. He is acting normal other than the above symptoms. Any thoughts? He has bloodwork done recently, but maybe it is time to do that again? Thanks.

GDOGS1

Boxer Insane
Gosh I sure wish I had some kind of words of wisdom for you but I don't.but GDOGS is sending River some of those good ol' boxer healing ((((vibes)))) his way.please keep us all posted of his condition.

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
So sorry to hear this. How has his eating been? Any possibility of a vitamin or mineral imbalance? Or has his thyroid ever been tested? Do you already use Hemopet? I really like having the extra interpretation of the bloodwork by Dr. Dodds at Hemopet. Things that were viewed as fine by the regular vets and internist and neurologist were flagged by Hemopet and Tuft's. When we were having all Tyson's tests done and he went to Tuft's they did mention that his eyes were slightly droopy and his mouth was always slightly open which was discussed as possibly due to an enlarged esophogus or the fact that I did notice that his mouth was very dry( if he licked you his tongue was like sandpaper). I'm not sure if it was dry because it was open or open because it was dry. He also had periods when he would regurgitate/vomit his food and both Tuft's and Hemopet said that based on his bloodwork results from the regular vet that they reviewed, he was absolutely having boughts of pancreatitis. Both Dr. Dodds and the vets at Tuft's (or any teaching hospital) have much more experience interpreting the bloodwork and symptoms and they are very up to date as to the current research and trends.

There is also a list circulating of holistic vets that do phone consults and second opinions/additional research for you. They work with problem cases and you may find one that is local to you. I'm sure I have the list somewhere saved on one of my computers or you may be able to google it.

Best wishes for a speedy diagnosis and recovery.

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
River (2 years old) is having really weird symptoms that two different vets can't figure out..........I can take him back to the vet, but they just can't find anything.

Have they done anything to rule out a neurological problem? Facial paralysis? Perhaps a tumor causing nerve damage or impairment? How long ago was the blood work run? Did it include a full work up with full thyroid panel?

Here's an informative article on some of the possible causes of protruding third eyelid.
Protrusion of Third Eyelid in Dogs - Page 1

It looks like there are a whole host of possible causes that have nothing to do with the actual health of the eye. It also sounds like depending on the cause, diagnosis can involve some expensive tests. Apparently in a fair number of cases, there is no known cause and the condition resolves itself. I'm the kind of person who would want an answer though so I would probably push for further diagnostic testing.

Last edited:

cooper22

Boxer Booster
Thank you for everyone's responses. I took River back to the vet today and they examined his jaw and face and found nothing besides the same symptoms. He has normal nerve response in all of his face and pupil reaction is normal. We sent a big panel of bloodwork to the lab today including CBC, complete chemistry panel, erlichia, cocci and potentially something else I forgot. The results for most parts should come back tomorrow. He is still eating, but River is extremely picky so eating is a relative term for him. He has always been picky so I would think if he was actually feeling ill he would quite eating because he can quit eating if anything in his world is out of wack (very sensitive). He eats Orijen with Natural Balance canned food and Stella and Chewy raw patties so I wouldn't think he has a vitamin or mineral imbalance, but I am not sure. Still no fever or any other symptoms besides drooping lower eyelids and holding his mouth open about 2 inches. Arrrgghhh. . . Hopefully some answers soon. They did mention that if it is nuerologic it may be very hard to figure out.

Last edited:

cooper22

Boxer Booster
Update

So River's bloodwork came back today and everything was normal except a little low on the T4 value (which we all know can be affected by other illnesses). We are still waiting for the valley fever test which takes about a week, but now the vet is thinking that he might have the early stages of Masticatory Muscle Myositis. I found this article on it: http://vetneuromuscular.ucsd.edu/cases/2012/June/Melmed.MMM.Compend.pdf

Does anyone have experience with this disease? I am also considering sending a full thyroid panel to Hemopet, although River has no symptoms of thyroid disease.

Not sure what to do from here :(

Status
Not open for further replies.