1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dosages for Glucosamine & Chondroitin?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Erica&Riley, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erica&Riley

Erica&Riley Boxer Booster

If you use glucosamine & chondroitin supplements for your dog, can you post the dosages that you use? Or if you know of the dosage that is appropriate for boxers to use? I have heard that the dosage is 25 mg per pound of dog's weight, but I wanted to confirm this. I just bought some vitamin supplements for my pup from Puritan's Pride and am not sure how much is appropriate for my baby as she is having some problems with her knees.

Thanks!
    Erica

2. LuVsHeRBoXeR

LuVsHeRBoXeR Banned

It is eithor...

400mg Glucosamine and 500mg Chondroitin. Or, it is the other way around. I am pretty sure it is 500mg Glucosamine and 400mg Chondroitin.
    If you have a Trader Joes in your area, I HIGHLY suggest going in there and buying their tablets in the pet food section. I would give tomi 3 a day. My vet said, it is all the same. Companies mark up the price for the brand names, but the supplement is all the same. Anyhow, TJ's is only $6.99. Hope that helps..
    ~Kat

3. Bar B

Bar B Boxer Booster

Puppies...I`m not sure about supplementing but I once found a chart for adult dogs that recommended 650 mg glucosamine for a pooch that was in the neighborhood of 60ish pounds. My Zeus takes (at the moment) 1500mg glucosamine/ 1200mg chondroitin/ and 1000 mg MSM. Normally we try to sticl with 1000 mg each but we have tried a different mg amount this time to see how he does. A maintenance program will suggest 500 mg of glucosamine and nearly the same for the others but it is really determined by how much mg`s you see results by.

Anything that is not used is eliminated out so it can`t harm however if this is a puppy, I would contact the vet to see what is advised.

4. LuVsHeRBoXeR

LuVsHeRBoXeR Banned

hmmm..

I know from my vet with those pills from TJ's. Each being 500mg Gluc and 400mg Chondroitin. He said, is for a full grown dog and not a puppy. Like Bar B said, if your dog is a puppy, I would check with your vet.

5. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

I give both including MSM to Booker T. He gets 1000MG of each of the three. Since he gets fed twice a day, I split the pills up for each meal.

I buy them from Costco and GNC. Much cheaper than the doggy store prices and the same thing :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.