Dora being spayed today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzie

Boxer Insane
Just asking for some good vibes as Dora is being spayed today and she has never been under anaesthetic before. I am sure that all will be fine, but just keep her in your thoughts ;) She trotted off quite happily with the nurse - I am the one whose a wreck!

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
Sending big hugs and healing (((vibes))) to you and Dora. Will keep you both in our thoughts,:)

dora

Boxer Booster
Hugz and vibes!! I'm sure she will do just fine! Let us know when she is all done and at home healing!

Jenny

PS great name! My last girl was Dora too :)

AmISarge

Boxer Booster
Hope she's doing well!

Rusty is going in for neutering on 2/18...I think he'll be more bothered by the Elizabethan collar than the procedure. However, when he realizes he's "missing something" he'll be even more bothered...

candyboyer

Boxer Pal
I had Luna spayed on Jan 31 at 8-1/2 months. She had to spend the night at the vet's and I never knew I could miss her so much in 24 hours! She came home pretty spunky the next day, but today - 3rd day out - she seems very sore. My hubby wants to give her a baby aspirin for pain but I don't think that's a good idea after surgery, due to its blood -thinning properties . It's been a long time since I had a dog spayed; they don't normally get something for pain do they?
Here's hoping Dora feels better really soon!!

whiskers

Boxer Insane
they don't normally get something for pain do they?

There are some vets out there that don't give pain meds for spays/neuters because they believe the dog needs to feel a little discomfort in order to not over-exert themselves while they're healing. However, that's pretty outdated thinking, and a vet SHOULD give pain meds for these procedures. It is major abdominal surgery (think of a woman getting a hysterectomy, it's pretty much the same thing... I'd want some drugs!! lol).

My dogs were not given pain meds to go home after their spays, and thankfully they did not act uncomfortable. However in the future I will always, always make sure my pets get pain meds after ANY kind of surgery. If Luna is still acting uncomfortable tomorrow, I would call your vet and ask for a couple days of meds.

Hope Dora's spay went well!

Lizzie

Boxer Insane
Thanks everyone. Dora's spey went well. She also had a gastroplexy at the same time as being speyed. I know not everyone agrees with this procedure, but having had a dog (Diva) that has bloated and survived I decided that I wanted to minimise the risks and so whilst she was being speyed and providing she was doing okay under anaesthetic I asked that a gastropexy also be done.

I can report that it is a larger incision than usual because of the gastropexy procedure, and Dora is doing great. She has had one post-op follow up and is due to have her stitches out on Monday 11 Feb. So far she has largely left the incision alone, although that might change if it starts to get itchy!

Just by the by Dora was given three days of pain meds (oral metacam) when she came home (which was the evening of the operation, so no oevernight stay which was good) and although she didn't seem to need them I did follow instructions and gave them to her for the three nights that she was prescribed them.

AmISarge

Boxer Booster
It's been awhile since we spayed...

In fact, it was the summer of 1991 for our 3 girls ( "golden retriever", "collie", and "german shepherd"), womb-mate sisters. 2 of them had 13 puppies between them, but the golden retriever had none (and she was "Auntie" to the pups).

All 3 went into the clinic in the morning, and came home late afternoon the same day. NO incisions, NO pain meds, etc. They had no discomfort whatsoever.

I have no idea "what" the Vet 'did' (it didn't look like they were 'spayed' by todays' standards) but they never went into heat, nor had any litters after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.