Don't Know if we can keep puppy that we found....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxy Lucille

Super Boxer
Well... We found a german shepard puppy wandering on the side of the main road in town and we have notified the vets and humane society and we are taking care of her until her owner finds her. However, if she was a "drop off" and no one claims her, we aren't sure if we can keep her. She is a german shepard who more than likely will be pretty big. Our house is very small and we are possbily going to be moving so DH can finish his degree in ministry and we will prolly just get an apt. near whatever school he decides on. We have Roxy, who is a boxer mix and will be no more than 30 lbs full grown and she is quite the bundle of energy. Her and puppy play a lil rough... they are learning and teaching eachother tho. My concern is this... If we can not keep Puppy...(we didn't name her due to the fact that we will wanna keep her) here are the places we have thought of...We are going to ask the Vet Techs at our Vet's office if any of them would want her for themselves... not to give away or sell of course. That way we know who we gave her too. Also, we thught of asking our Petsmart Pet Trainer if he would help us find a family. We do not want to give her to a shelter... She is not spayed... we acutally think she is only 2-4 months old... I know the shelter in our area is too full and they would prolly put her to sleep and I will not stand for that! I jsut want to know if there are any other places/persons we can contact to help us out w/finding "puppy" a home if we can not have her...

Net45582

Banned
Do you have any local rescues or no kill sanctuaries? Also go to www.petfinder.com and list a profile on her.If you can't make a listing perhaps the local shelter will create one for you.

Last edited:

Roxy Lucille

Super Boxer
We have the Humane Society, and some shelters but that is it. I have put a classified up on PetFinder. Can I actully list her as an adoptable dog?

Net45582

Banned
Roxy Lucille said:
Can I actully list her as an adoptable dog?
If you can get a listing shelter to list her for you. Many do and list the contact info of the fostering home...which in this case would be you.

Roxy Lucille

Super Boxer
Ok, We will look into that if we decide that we can't keep her. On Petfinder, there is a place to list adoptable pets and we could put an ad up as well. I guess it's just a waiting game now to see if the owners will find her. I was hoping the owners would think to call the vets this morning after they noticed their lil girl not home when they got home from work... but I don't think they will! Would most people think of calling the local vets? Or am I just werid to think that people would assume that?

Net45582

Banned
You would think someone would be looking for her. Then again,someone may have just "dumped" her . Unfortunately,it happens alot.

Roxy Lucille

Super Boxer
I know! It breaks my heart. She is so sweet. Well behaved... no chewing...barking...we have not seen anything out of the ordinary for her to be dumped... O well. We will continue to take care of her until the owners find us or until we decide what to do.

Kirby Kirb

Boxer Insane
Thats so sad. I don't understand how people can just drop off a puppy. It's unimaginable on my part. I really hope this puppy finds a good home, if not with you but with someone you know and trust. It hard not to get attatched to a puppy, have you put up flyers in your local grocery, varirty stores? Also signs in any community building, school, or just around residential areas would help. You could put on there free to good home, that way you can meet who ever would like to adpot the puppy, and maybe the original owners will come forward. I wish you luck, keep us posted! :)

Roxy Lucille

Super Boxer
Ya we have flyers in the grocery store she was found near and have told the local vets incase someone calls and have told the local humane society. We are just hoping for the owners to come forward.. if not... we will decide what to do then...

Roxy Lucille

Super Boxer
Update!

DH is taking "Sadie" the german shepard puppy we found to the local vets today to see if any of the techs would like to take her home. We just can't take her in. Our house is only 900 sq ft and w/Roxy... they are both females... definately territorial. They play ok most of the time, but they are a lil too much for us to handle. Roxy is great by herself and Sadie is like a po-go stick! She just jumps and jumps and is super hyper! I know she' s a puppy and thats normal, but Roxy is trying to teach her to calm down... but Sadie just growls and bites at her. We just can't do it. Hope I have some support. We are going to try to find a good home for her... definately have to approve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.