1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog needs bland diet, suggestions on food

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by hillestadj, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hillestadj

hillestadj Boxer Pal

Well long story short, we adopted a male boxer puppy the last week of January. He RARELY has a solid stool, rarely even any evidence of it being slightly formed. Since he was a stray we dont know his age exactly (6-9 months) according to the vet and he only weighs 36 lbs +/-. He has been checked and re-checked for any kind of paracites or worms. We've ruled out egg, grain, chicken, and lamb allergies. We were treating for colitis but the vet thinks thats not it either. He has been on Eukenuba Puppy Formula, Chicken Soup, 2 sensitive stomach formulas, a grain free formula, a herring formula, and canned Hills Canine I/d from the vet. Go figure the last is the only food that has produced formed, reasonably solid stools. Also, I know that is a lot of formulas to have tried but we followed the vets advice and also used probiotics to help ease the transistions. We did also discover that he can take about a 45/55 mix of one dry formula (45) and the Hills I/d (55). Basically the vet has told us that he just has an ultra sensitive stomach and needs a very bland diet while also getting nutrients to get the weight up.

Here is my delemma. I love dogs, I have another boxer who we love, we tried to do the right thing with adoption instead of getting a puppy and here we are. The way the costs add up for the food will total around $130+ / month. $1500 per year for dog food alone is not an acceptable number to me.

I am looking for ANY advice on a dog formula that you have tried for experiences like this, anything we could add to a food to tone it down and make it bland enough (just rice hasnt worked), basically anything.

Thank you all in advance and sorry for being long winded about this.

2. Josue

Josue Boxer Buddy

I haven't done a price breakdown on this, but when our guy's tummy hurts, we put him on a bland diet as well, chicken and rice. We'll boil the chicken, shred it, and mix it with rice. It does the trick though, firms up his poop almost immediatly, and he stops having unbearably bad gas. lol

But, I don't think the price would be too too bad to feed it all the time, especially if you bought chicken in bulk at a Sam's Club or Costco or something? And rice is cheap enough anywhere...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  3. HokieGirl

HokieGirl Boxer Buddy

Just a thought have you tried natural balance LID diets? They have several formulas that are hypoallergenic.

4. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I think you need to take a step back and regroup.
    Seems as if you have only had your new guy for less than or right around 3 months.
    You listed at least 6 different foods that have been tried.
    It can literally take up to 3 months to see if ONE food change can make a difference.
    You haven't given it near long enough.
    Even a food that might be able to work can make them worse before they start to show results.
    If the food the vet has is making a difference I would stick with that until the issues are the best they have been and then s-l-o-w-l-y add in another food to the mix. I'm talking weeks worth of time to get to a transition. You many never be able to make a transition.
    Some of the issues could literally be a direct result of changing foods too often.
    How are you feeding? Have you tried multiple smaller meals a day? Sometimes eating too much at one sitting can produce loose stools. Too much food in a day, same thing.
    How much are you feeding?
    You may need to continue the probiotics for life or at least long term until the problems are corrected.
    Don't give up. My cat spent the first 4 years of her life never producing a normal stool EVER.
    4 ENTIRE YEARS. Up to 10 trips a day to the litter box. I tried multiple foods, tests, meds, supplements, etc....you name it I tried it.
    I switched her to a canned food from a dry food diet and removed all grains. Literally one single can of food changed her life. She was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease. She should be on a prescription diet with constant meds for life (per the vet) but she isn't.
    If you remain vigilant you will come out the other side with good results and your guy will thank you for it!

5. Barbara DFA

Barbara DFA Boxer Buddy

I agree with Susi that you probably are trying too many things too quickly. That said, I've been there too with my dog (a mini poodle) who has a sensitive stomach, and it's hard not to change around when they aren't making normal stools.

If he is doing okay on the I/D, you might look into California Natural dog food- they have a few different formulas, all very simple ingredients.

Barbara

6. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Well I will first say, that I got my boy from a reputable breeder at 8 weeks old his parents have won conformations, have had all the health testing, etc and yet at 8 months old he started developing severe food allergies as well as colitis. So please don't take it out on him that he's a rescue so you made a mistake, the same thing could have just as easily happened if he was from a good reputable breeder as well (especially since allergies don't come about until later in life).

On the food, I feed my allergy/colitis boy Natural Balance either the sweet potato and fish or sweet potato and bison formula. He does GREAT on both. He also gets an acidophilus capsule with each meal as well as ProZyme and a little bit of whole husk Yerba Prima psyllium. He's now 2 1/2 years old and has formed stools every time, no allergy symptoms and has done absolutely wonderful for the past year and a half or so. I tried every food known to man and this is the only combination he can eat. And then that means no treats either although I can use some canned food of the same type or chicken to add in sometimes but your typical treats I cannot use.

For you, first off I'd use some chicken and rice for a couple of weeks along with some either pumpkin (100% pure not the pie filling) for 2-3 weeks to give his intestines time to calm down. Too many soft stools and stomach issues going on will cause diarrhea or soft stools in itself. After the 2-3 weeks then SLOWLY add in maybe NB limited ingredient kibble (start with an 1/8 of a cup for 2-3 days and go from there) until he is totally on kibble again and see how he does with that.

I feed both of my Boxers the limited ingredient diet and with a 62 pound female and a 67 pound male one of their bags runs me $45 at PetCo and lasts me exactly 3 weeks. The Yerba Prima psyllium is around $5 for a big container and lasts me a couple of months (using it for 2 dogs) and the acidophlius I get runs me around $6 and also lasts me for about a month and a half (using it for 2 dogs) ProZyme I get online at amazon and it's around $20 for a container (shipping included) and that lasts me a couple of months as well. So all in all I probably spend around $60-$65 a month in food and a couple of added thing for 2 full grown Boxers.

Hope this helps some and good luck!

7. griffdiz

griffdiz Boxer Booster

I agree with the others that you have not really given any of the foods a chance for long enough. You say you have ruled out several allergies, but he has had continuous loose stools so if that is the case allergies really have not been ruled out. How did you test for the allergies? Switching a dog's food that often can itself give a dog diarrhea. I think you should try a bland diet for a week or so like some others suggested, maybe some chicken and green beans or pumpkin to give some fiber. Then when his stools firm up, very slowly transition him to a dog food. The Hill's Precription diets are way overpriced and I think you can find a much better diet that costs you less. You could try some of the LID diets made by several different companies. There is California Natural, Pinnacle, Natural Balance, Wellness, and I think Blue Buffalo now makes some. They cost more than grocery stores foods, but much less than the prescription diets. And you need to give the food a chance to work. If a dog has a food allergy it causes white blood cells to build up on the lining of the stomach and it can take 6 to 8 weeks for these to completely disappear. Also, I know you said he has been tested for parasites, but do you know if they tested for giardia? And has the doctor tried any flagyl or barium? Both are used for dogs with diarrhea, temporarily of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.