1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog food high in fiber

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Barron's mom, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Barron's mom

Barron's mom Completely Boxer Crazy

Looking for a recommendation for a dog food that is high in fiber as recommended by Rocco's vet. Rocco occasionally vomits phlegm and lately has been straining after taking a solid BM. The vet suggested I find something comparable to Royal Canin Canine Gastrointestinal Fiber Response, which he sells for $63. for only 16 pounds. I found Blue Buffalo Wilderness Healthy Weight Chicken Recipe Grain-Free and Nutro Wholesome Essentials Healthy Weight Adult Lamb and Rice; both whom have had recalls and are not rated highly. I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks so much!

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

You try adding some plain canned pumpkin to his food. Start with a tablespoon and added more until you have the result that you want. Too much will cause diarrhea, so just gradually increase the amount.
    Good luck!

3. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

When I needed to add fiber to Thor's diet I got psyllium from The Vitamin Shoppe and sprinkled it on his food. Because he had chronic pancreatitis and I couldn't find a high fiber low fat food. It worked well for him. It sells for about $10 for a 12 oz jar. And you only need a small amount each meal, so the jar lasts for well over a month.