1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog Beds

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by TinksDream, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinksDream

TinksDream Boxer Booster

Hi everyone!
    Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for dog beds. My two need new clean ones theirs are so stinky and just don't look nice in my living room.
    I don't want to spend a fortune (especially since I need 2) and really want rectangular ones that are ginormous and that is easy to clean and will look clean (I have 1 that has the white fleece stuff on it and after a while it looks horrible). My dogs don't eat their beds so I don't need any special non-destructive material.

Also, has anyone tried Dr. George's Plaque blast? Their teeth really aren't bad but they have bad breath.
    Dr. George's Plaque Blastâ„¢ - Dental Care - Cat - PetSmart

2. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I've been wondering about the Plaque Blast too. I forgot to ask the vet about while I was there. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has anything to say about it.

As for dog beds I got some great ones at Sam's Club, but it really is a hit or miss deal. Somethimes they have nice ones other times they don't. I have also found great deals at Gordman's. I don't know if they have that chain where you are, but it used to be the 1/2 Price Store. It is also a hit or miss type deal.

Too keep our beds fresh, other then washing the covers, I will add or change out the stuffing in the beds once or twice a year. They key to that of course is buying the kind with a removable cover and where the stuffing goes has a zipper on it. Also if I am just adding stuffing, I will spray down the old stuffing with Fabreze (I use the allergen reducer kind) or I will add some baking soda. I know you are looking for new beds but thought I would throw that out there to help the new ones last longer.

3. TinksDream

TinksDream Boxer Booster

I usually try and get the ones with the removable covers too. I also add more stuffing as needed but never thought to actually change it out that is a good idea and I do spray with fabreeze too. I want new ones so they are nice and fresh and so they match, plus since I have 2 different beds my 2 always race to the same one but won't share even though there is enough room for them both on the same one. I was thinking about trying memory foam. I wish I could sew b/c I don't think it would be that difficult to make the beds and it'd probably be so much cheaper but I don't know how or even own a sewing machine.

4. cooper22

cooper22 Boxer Booster

I just bought three new dog beds at Sam's Club. They were very reasonable and are memory foam. My dogs love them. They have zip off covers and I got dark blue so they don't show dirt even though I do wash them. Good luck.

5. EllieKem

EllieKem Boxer Buddy

Emma has three dog beds and still just sleeps wherever she pleases and mostly in my bed :D

For my older boxer (and now Emma) I got a used baby mattress from a second hand kids store. It offers great support for them and you can purchase the (washable) bed pads and cover sheets to keep them clean in any color at any store.

It now sits in my breakfast nook under a table and looks like a little doggie day bed filled with pillows. My nieces and nephews often sit on too :LOL: it looks so comfy.

There is a picture of it in my gallery with Ellie laying on it wrapped up in her comforter.

6. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

I picked up crib matresses second-hand for really cheap (found one "free" leftover from someone's yard sale). I use a crib-size matress pad and crib sheet and a small blanket thrown over the top. They work great for me. Everything fits in the washing machine and the crib matress doesn't get stinky like the foam beds do.

7. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I use Kuranda beds. They have a website. Been very happy with them and ours for gosh probably 2 years maybe 3 now and it doesn't smell.

Also Costco has nice dog beds for the money with removable covers do you can throw them in the washing machine as needed.

8. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

I need to invest in something new for the dogs. I'm thinking I'll just do one of the cot-style beds (a Kuranda knock-off) and then make a nice big fluffy fleece blanket to throw on top. Then everything will be nice and easy to wash and I won't have to worry about the stuffing getting smelly, which is our current problem. Plus the bed they have now, all the stuffing has kind of migrated to the corners so it's really flat in the middle, and it doesn't want to move back....

I've heard great things about the Costco beds. We have one at work for when my boss decides to bring her dog in, it's a well-filled, comfortable bed with sturdy material. And it smells nice since it's filled with cedar. :)

As far as the plaque spray, I don't know about that brand specifically.... I have the Petzlife spray and it works all right but it definitely needs to be accompanied with brushing. What we sell a lot of at work that people have good success with, is the liquid stuff that you add to their water. It supposedly does a good job, I'm going to be giving it a try soon; Juno's teeth are fine but my other dog has icky teeth.

9. SillyTucker

SillyTucker Boxer Booster

We have a costco bed for Tucker and it's been great. I'm thinking about buying a new one as this one is about 10 months old, but for the $20 it cost we've got a LOT of use out of it.

10. TyTysmom

TyTysmom Super Boxer

Regarding the Plaque Blast; one of our local news channels is going to do a "try it before you buy it" tonight on this product. I'll report back here tomorrow whether it gets the thumbs up or thumbs down :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.