Dog acne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllieCat

Boxer Pal
Our 6 month old girl, Allie has been getting red bumps around her mouth at the bottom. I've seen some sites that say it is basically acne because she is in her adolescence. Has anyone else's pups had this problem? Should we put anything on it or just let nature take its course?

Kisaq

Super Boxer
I've had a couple of boxers that got bad acne.
And yes, we popped them. :/

Sometimes a little bit of neosporin.

But be sure that's what it is...

If you are feeding in a plastic bowl - you should switch to stainless steel or ceramic.

Oh... and be sure to check her daily in between all her folds and wrinkles. Our boxers would get them right in the cracks and they'd get infected if we didn't catch them soon enough.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
My first boxer, Markus had acne. It went away when he got older. As Kisaq suggested, I would avoid plastic bowls. I would also wash her face after eating.

Good luck!

Kisaq

Super Boxer
My first boxer, Markus had acne. It went away when he got older. As Kisaq suggested, I would avoid plastic bowls. I would also wash her face after eating.

Good luck!

Good point about washing the face. We did that too after every meal. A nice warm damp wash cloth was always ready. It was a good habit. I cheat now with Kisaq. He just gets a paper towel. He's not a fan.
LOL.
Maybe I should pamper him a little more.

MichBoxerMom

Boxer Buddy
I had to LOL about the paper towel...
My Cooper has had acne since he was 6months old.. Actually right after his rabies vaccine!
He is now 1.5 and sometimes its good and other times its bad. Right now its starting to come back and he has a few spots on his muzzle also. Just keep the face as clean as possible. I wash him off after every meal with a warm cloth. Also no plastic bowls as the others stated and I found that if he plays too much with his Kong he gets worse. I did find some wipes on Amazon..called Duoxo which are for dogs. I tried the acne pads such as Stridex but the alcohol smell is a little out of control and he didnt like it at all..

Good Luck!

AllieCat

Boxer Pal
Thanks!! We use metal bowls but I think we should start cleaning her mouth off after she eats/ plays at the park. I will look into those wipes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.