Does anyone have stock? What are you going to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa M

Completely Boxer Crazy
Over the past year we've lost a large amount of our holdings, I refuse to sell off the stock as it would be at a loss. I feel that same way now. If you know the losses will upset you, don't open the statements for a while. In fact over the last year we have still been buying and am very glad to note that my monthly contributions to my IRA used to gain me just 0.80 of a share at times, now I can acquire many more shares for the same amount of money so it is in some ways an oppertunity to invest more since we are getting more for our $. I know it is hard to look at it that way - but remember the basic rule of buy low and sell high.

When the market re-bounds then we will sell some things and re-position again. We are in it for the long haul so falls, bumps and slow downs don't matter to us.

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Peggy -

I spoke with my dad today and he states now is not a good time to buy. He says the market is way too volitile. He says I should sit tight with what I have as should everyone else. Good luck but I am sure we will all take a hit :(

E

Eric

My advice when your investments go south - Close your eyes.They nearly always come back. And for those that don't, hey it's only money.:cool:

muttersley

Completely Boxer Crazy
Eric I was thinking the same. Those poor people went to work last Tuesday probably worrying about money as we all do. Now they are no longer here. Life is too short to be materialistic. I have certainly changed my tune...

RileyMom

Boxer Booster
I agree. i'm going to sit tight and try not to think about it if the market is headed south -- it will rebound in time.

On a related note, I have heard some talk about the possibility of war bonds being issued. If they do, I'll buy some!

Peggy G

Boxer Insane
Originally posted by muttersley
Eric I was thinking the same. Those poor people went to work last Tuesday probably worrying about money as we all do. Now they are no longer here. Life is too short to be materialistic. I have certainly changed my tune...

Gosh, I hope you dont think I was being materialistic to think about my lifes savings (Daughters college fund -10 years in the works & our retirement fund-18 years in the works). Neither are invested to see how rich we can get but to secure our future.

ninersneal

Super Boxer
I lost alot when the tech stocks took a downslide. Lucent was at $80 a share, now just over $5. Now my defense stocks, which were very low at one point are now coming back. When things happen I just close my eyes, I do not want to contribute to the panic. On the news this morning they were suggesting that people purchase at least one share of any stock, just to give a vote of confidence in our economy.
I believe I saw on one the the channels that they may sell war bonds. First time since WWII.

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
I actually only have a few stocks, which went up today not down. I was also thinking now is a good time to buy. Although I am not really sure how to do that. The stocks I do have are stocks I got from employee stock option plans. I have never bought on the market before, so I'm investigating that.

muttersley

Completely Boxer Crazy
Originally posted by Peggy G

Gosh, I hope you dont think I was being materialistic to think about my lifes savings (Daughters college fund -10 years in the works & our retirement fund-18 years in the works). Neither are invested to see how rich we can get but to secure our future.

No Peggy of course I don't, I was just trying to say in general, that none of us know what is around the corner and to constantly worry about money (as I seem to do:) )I too have to worry about my 3 daughters college funds........seems along way off but it soon creeps up doesn't it! Sorry for any offence caused.

Amy Lyn

Super Boxer
We are taking the opportunity to buy, buy, buy while some of the solid stocks are low. My husband treats it like shopping on sale! Obviously there are some you stay away from, the more risky ones, but the ones that you know are going to remain solid after this clears up are the ones to get. At least that's our thinking on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.