Does anyone else pup hate baths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
All my pups started out loving bathtime. Somewhere around the age of two, they seem to think it's torture. I don't understand. I thought with Star and Thor it was something that happened at the groomers, but Arabella has never been to a groomer. The love to play in the hose, or jump into a lake, so I know it isn't a fear of water. I started giving them treats afterwards so they would think it was a good thing. But with Thor, it's gotten to the point that I have to bribe him with a treat just to get him into the bath. I don't know what else to do. I give him kisses and hugs and try to calm him, but he just freezes and tenses up.
Arabella is starting to run from bathtime too. She used to not be able to wait to get in the tub. Any suggetions?

kathysboxer

Boxer Insane
Tyson hates getting baths. We have a hand held shower we use in the tub. He will tolerate that.
Try putting a towel in the tub for them to stand on. Sometimes they are afraid of slipping around in the tub.

Sugarcain

Super Boxer
I have a rubber mat for them to stand on, also I put on my swim suit and climb in the bathtub with them, it seems to calm them a bit knowing that their mama gets a bath too. :)

Please Work

Boxer Booster
Ruby does not like baths but will sometimes follow DH into the shower (gives him quite a surprise sometimes especially when he's half asleep and looks down to find he has company), I just leave her doggie wash and stuff in there now. He said it's much easier too. But I have also heard of the mat/towel in the bottom of the bath helping too.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
It's always been torture for Caney! I'm very gentle with her, I sit on the edge of the tub or get in with her sometimes but she still hates it. I have to close the bedroom door and then pick her up and carry her into the bathroom, the whole way her legs are sprawled just looking for something to grab on to! :LOL: Once in the tub she's good, doesn't try to escape, but the face is SO pitiful.

Widges

Completely Boxer Crazy
Billy hates the bath. But wash him outside with the garden hose and it is a whole different story, he can't get enough of the hose spraying him. Thanks goodness I live in So.Cal is all I can say!!

BonnieBoxer

Boxer Buddy
Bonnie hates water which in return means she doesn't get bathed often. As soon as she knows dh is trying to get her to go into the bathroom she runs into her crate and he has to either carry her or drag her into the shower. Once in she sits there waiting for a good time to escape. We've also tried with the hose outside but she moves and gets tangled up on her leash. Right now she really needs a bath cause she stinks so bad and looks filthy.

bucca

Boxer Insane
we only had to bathe spanky once(rolled in the mud after tripping :) ) and he hates a wet coat and he was okay, but wasnt very happy about it, it was outside with a hose but otherwise he really doesnt like getting wet at all and i dont bathe him

Shane72

Boxer Booster
Billy hates the bath. But wash him outside with the garden hose and it is a whole different story, he can't get enough of the hose spraying him. Thanks goodness I live in So.Cal is all I can say!!

During the warm months, I just carry the shampoo out when I wash my car. I know Rocky is going to play in the water and he loves the hose so he doesn't even seem to notice he's getting a bath after the car is done.

Now when I have to bathe him in the tub it's a different story. He doesn't fight but there's no doubt whatsoever that he's not enjoying himself. He stands rigid and is constantly looking for a way to get around me. As soon as he's out, he's back to being his crazy self. Luckily I don't have to bathe him often...

Kilby'sMum

Super Boxer
Our girls LOVE baths. When Kilby was little she used to roll around on her back in the water. Now, she is much more subdued and will just stand there quietly until I'm finished. I think with her though she loves being told how pretty she is after a bath and we secretly think that's why she tolerates it.

Kona is mad for water and if its a puddle or an ocean or a bath she'll dive right on in. I actually have trouble keeping her out of the bath while it's Kilby's turn!

Definitely go for a rubber mat though to stop the slipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.