Do your boxers like hugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbfshn33

Boxer Booster
Last year I read "For the Love of a Dog" by Patricia McConnell. It was a fantastic book and I learned a lot, but I have to disagree with something she said. (Keep in mind she's the PhD and the dog behaviorist... I'm just a boxer owner!) - She states that dogs don't show affection the same as people; and, as a general rule, the don't like being hugged. I have found that the total opposite is true with my pups. Ella will even stand with her front paws in your lap and wait for a hug! It's very cute, and of course, I eat it up. I was just wondering... does anybody else have boxers that like to hug?

Roxie'sMommy

Boxer Booster
Oh my god, I hug Roxie all of the time! She loves it and does the same as your dog. She will put her paws on my lap and wait for hugs and kisses. I would definitely disagree with that lady. Every dog I know loves hugs!

kathysboxer

Boxer Insane
I'm going to have to agree with you both. Tyson will put his front paws on my shoulders and lean into me and just snuggle and hug. He stays this way for a good 5 min. or more. But of course then he decides my ear would like to be licked and nibbled. But as soon as I start to hug him, he will once again put his paws on my shoulders.
I personally think that lady, PHD or not, is just a person with a dog, not a true dog person.

ELubas

Boxer Insane
I would only say that my dogs loved hugs from those they knew and loved-but not strangers. My Fraze especially would tolerate it from a child but back up if an adult stranger tried it. O'Connell is right that most dogs do not care for it :)

caruse

Boxer Insane
My Laila likes to snuggle and be close in the morning...will also give kisses thru the day...but my Frazier would be content to sit on my lap any time during the day and let me hug him...he is really a momma's boy!!!
Barbara lovicon

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
Mine love hugs -- especially Caney. She comes to me and buries her face against me while I hug her, and if I'm eye level she will rest her head on my shoulder for a hug :)

Box Boys

Boxer Insane
Buster absolutely loves hugs and likes to give them. The kisses...well, he loves giving those most! :)

JacksonBoy

Boxer Buddy
Jackson LOVES affection!! He is the happiest when he is right in the middle of the action and cuddling with us, our family or friends. He is so friendly with everyone he meets, even if it is a stranger. He hugs and kisses ALL the time.

MaggienDeuce

Boxer Booster
I read the same book and had the same thought - as my Deuce will beg for a hug. He gives the best hugs and will wrap his neck around my neck and put one paw on my arm. He hugs better than some people! Maggie will tolerate a hug, but would rather give kisses. I have read several of Patricia McConnell's books and have found them all extremely informative and have helped me understand my two pups - except for Deuce and the hugs.

sasmeow

Boxer Insane
Mine both love hugs too. If Izzy is on the bed, or if I am sitting next to her, she will rest her head on my shouler, or against my chest. She IS hugging me. I don't know how you can say that dogs don't hug. Gus does kinda the same thing. They both like when I kiss their smooshy faces too. And the LOVE to lick me, but I don't really call that a kiss, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.