1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you wear shoes in your house?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by boxerma, Mar 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxerma

boxerma Super Boxer

Ok, I know this is a funny subject, but after reading the other thread about shoes I just wondered what everyone thought about this subject. Do you wear shoes inside your house or leave them at the door?

I grew up wearing them all over my house, no problem. But one of the apartments my hubby and I had lived in years ago allowed dogs and no one would clean up after them. People would step in it and drag it into the hall, so we got in the pattern of taking our shoes off at the door so we wouldn't track it into our apartment. Now, years and a couple houses later, I still can't stand to wear shoes inside! I feel like I'm tracking everything inside, from public places and restrooms and everything! And, with Bingo, I spend a lot of time on the floor, not to mention if you had a toddler, I'd want them to be clean. Am I the only crazy one? I just like clean floors. Dirt doesn't bother me, it's the man made ick I don't like!!! Also what do you do about your guests or kid's friends? I've never asked my guest to take their shoes off to keep them from feeling uncomfortable. :p

2. Amy Lyn

Amy Lyn Super Boxer

I used to wear shoes in the house, not all the time, but never thought to take them off until I met my husband. His whole family takes their shoes off at the door. You've apparently committed a crime walking in past the door with your shoes on by the looks on their faces!

Anyhow, after meeting my hubby and moving in, I have now been transformed and take my shoes off at the door. Though that's good for me, because I don't like wearing shoes anyway!

Plus, my in-laws all have white carpets throughout their houses, I don't want to be the one tracking something in!!! :eek:

3. BRIDGIT

BRIDGIT Completely Boxer Crazy

We don't usually wear them while we are inside. When I get home from work I put them in the front closet. I will occasionaly where them in the house though. To be honest I never really thought about it before.:)

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Boxer Insane

No, we leave our shoes at the door, if were are just coming in to get something in the summer we keep our shoes on, Hubby had been leaving his on when Ozzy was in toilet training, because he was always the one to step in something Oz left behind :LOL:
    Easier with hardwood floors, when you have carpet, it gets dirty real fast if you wear shoes in the house.

5. myrocky

myrocky Boxer Insane

I wear my shoes everywhere. I grew up that way and still holds true. My mom used to say "our house is not a museum. It is where we live and where we should feel comfortable." So shoes were allowed everywhere. Now if I am hanging out in the house then my shoes are off and slippers are on even in the summer time. I hate walking barefoot but don't want the confinment of shoes. I really get nervous when I go to someone's house and they make me take my shoes off at the door. I know most people don't want to get their carpets dirty but for me it is the opposite. I don' t know what has been done to/on those carpets and I don't know how often they are cleaned. So I would much prefer to keep my shoes on for protection :D Silly I know but that is me!

6. boxerma

boxerma Super Boxer

I really don't do it for the reason of keeping my carpets clean. Bingo comes in and our yard is VERY muddy right now, and it doesn't bother me a bit. Dirt and grass or whatever never has bothered me. What bothers me is the bacteria you can track in your house from places you have gone. Like the meat counter at the grocery store , public restrooms, pesticides from lawns, stepping in some guy's spit he chose to put on the sidewalk. That type of thing. I don't want my house to be a museum and I agree totally with what you are saying because it is a pain. But I guess my issue started out to do more with health than dirt. I spend a lot of time on the floor it seems, if playing with Bingo or just reading a magazine and when we start a family, I just don't like the idea of an infant crawling around in filth.

Maybe slippers are the solution because it is a pain but it also nice to know that my carpets are clean. The point you made about other's homes is the reason I don't impose it on my guests, but that's why I was wondering what others opinions are.

7. RileyMom

RileyMom Boxer Booster

Never!

When I get home from being anywhere, the shoes are the first thing to go!

In fact, when I was home recently on maternity leave for 3 months, and it was cold and crappy out anyway, I almost never left the house, so I rarely wore shoes for that whole time. When I had to return to the working world it was a little tough to get used to wearing shoes again!

And when I was younger, in the summer I went without shoes inside and out!

8. myrocky

myrocky Boxer Insane

eeeewwwww! Some guys spit! :LOL: I totally see your point and if I had a baby crawling around on the floor I might be apt to change my mind. Way to many nasties out there now as opposed to when I was a youngin' ;) And if the weather is particularly yuckie then the shoes come off at the front door. Everyday stuff I can deal with but awful mud, slush, and wet shoes need to not come through the house! :D

9. Zsara

Zsara Super Boxer

I just like going barefoot.

I wear shoes in the house when I need shoes on, but the first thing i do is take them off. My husband is tender footed and wears shoes or socks all the time. (ticklish too lol) My daughter likes to go bare footed too. But it has nothing to do with dirt , carpets or the floor. I just like to be foot loose and fansy free....lolsmashicon

10. WAT

WAT Boxer Insane

We leave our shoes at the door when we come in, I even take Dalton's shoes off and leave them by the door also. we have blush colored ceramic tile and it shows every little thing, especially boxer foot prints!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.