1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you take your boxer camping?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Rocco's Mom, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocco's Mom

Rocco's Mom Super Boxer

We are going camping over Memorial Day and taking Rocco with. We haven't been camping since we got him so this will be his first time. I am concerned about how he'll handle all the activity around the campground. Also hoping that it's not too hot.

Anyone have any suggestions on how we can help make this a good experience (for all of us)? Anything I should make sure to have for him other than the obvious?

2. paysmom

paysmom Boxer Insane

We take our dogs camping all the time, It's a blast!
    The only think I would suggest is that if you are going to a very buggy or mosquito infested area that Rocco is treated with some sort of a bug repellant- dog safe of course!!! ;)
    We use some sort of a spray for horses (It's safe for dogs too, I believe it's called "bug block") that we rub on him before he's going to be out for any length of time.
    Payton swells right up from Mosquito bites, and it looks awful!
    Good luck and have fun!!!

3. Slobberchops

Slobberchops Boxer Insane

Ray and I have taken Waldo camping once,he was so good,we only had to put him on the lead when everyone was eating,otherwise he would have begged himself silly,with all the campfire and cooking smells.
    We weren't at a camping ground,it was a private property with friends,about 20 of us,and 4 other dogs.
    I suppose the only advice is to have him on the lead at night when he needs to go so he doesn't wander off.
    We set up his bed between ours in the tent,which he thought was wonderful,as both Mum and Dad were in really close kissing distance:eek:
    Have a great time:LOL:Take lots of pictures to show us too please:)

4. Indy's mom

Indy's mom Boxer Insane

Rockyangelicon and Rascalangelicon were pro campers! They both went often. I do second the suggestion for watching out for the bugs though. Rascal used to go after bees, we always had to keep some benedryl on hand so that his poor little muzzle wouldn't get too swollen after catching and playing with some.

They enjoyed camping and were both very well behaved! But they had done it from the time they were pups. Ras tired of it as he got older, started to dis-like the lack of creature comfort and the heat, so he stayed with his dog-buddy Caesar when we camped towards the end of his life. (Frankly, I think he just needed a break from us. :LOL:)

But just like at home, keep an eye out, watch how they are reacting, it can be a great time for all!

5. FletchersMom

FletchersMom Boxer Insane

We take Fletcher camping with us. I am sure you have your baby on these already but be sure he is utd on flea, tick and heartworm prevenatives and also the bug block is a great idea. When we go we have to keep Fletcher on a lead at all times because he gets so excited with all the kids around that he would take off with the first one to pet him for sure!!!!

6. Roscoesmommy

Roscoesmommy Completely Boxer Crazy

We will be taking Roscoe camping for the first time over Memorial Day also. I am curious to see how he acts. I am sure he will be a pain, wanting to play with everyone and not sitting still, but it will be so worth it to have him there with us!

7. rvngal

rvngal Boxer Booster

This year will be Rockys first time too, but I'm sure he will love to get out of the Arizona heat and up to the cool mountains. Our other 3 are pros...they get super excited when we bring the RV home and I start packing it. We are leaving right after Mothers day for a week. I can't wait to see how he does on his first trip.

8. BaconBits

BaconBits Super Boxer

I have not taken our current boxers camping, but will soon. I've taken our other dogs camping. They seem to enjoy it. I choose a site (if i can) that is away from people so they don't get distracted. I always have a lead long enough since most campgrounds make you leash your dogs. A word to the wise, make sure it's not around the fire or chairs. They will get tangled in it. Our deceased dog loved being outside and sleeping in the tent. He even had a tent of his own to hang out in. I haven't been in awhile nor have I been with my three now, but I'm sure it will be exhausting. Good luck with yours!

9. missjada

missjada Boxer Booster

We take Jada camping alot, ever since she was 4 months old. We got her use to all the different sounds(sandrails,quads, motorcycles and even fireworks) when she was very young. She sits and waits for the fireworks in the sky and if one doesn't go off she looks at me like "Mom what happened to the fireworks !!!!". She's crazy. We just got back from a off-road poker run and she had a blast. She even rides in the sandrail with her seatbelt harness. We are trying to get her to wear goggles, but she won't. She does get funny about eating. I think she thinks she might miss some action. But she makes up for it when we get home. She pigs out. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it turns out.

10. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

Ours go camping with every weekend but have our own private camp along the river. Just watch out for bees like already mentioned and keep an eye out for snakes, mine are completely fascinated by snakes and we have quite a few crawl out of the wod pile. Luckily we have not seen any poisonous ones.
    If you are going to an area that you don't know, I would also find a vet in that area and print out a map showing how to get there from where you are, just in case.
    It gets a little cramped in the camper but we love it, this weekend will be our first weekend this summer, I can't wait!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.