Do you sometimes think about other breeds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxrbgood

Boxer Insane
It is just that... they are too many of them and breeding is getting ridiculous. Every corner, here's another boxer.. and with all that .. the health issues and the physical appearance is "not so boxer" anymore. Long legs, long nose.. I was born in Europe and remember boxer being more "bull type".
I am mad at backyard breeders and puppy mills. They have destroyed the boxer breed. :(

Has anyone ever felt that way?

I think there may be some breeders breeding for slightly longer noses to reduce some problems associated with the shorter snout too.
There are still lots of Boxers around without the long nose. It depends where you're looking.
I saw pics from a show a few months ago where I thought the judge(from Europe) gave the top honors to dogs with noses too short.
Isn't the standard where the blunt muzzle is 1/3 the length of the head from the occiput to the tip of the nose, and 2/3rds the width of the skull.
In that case I have one with too short of a nose(foreground) and one with a nose too long(Middle) and one with a perfect nose (background).

I still love them all. And am still somewhat of a Boxer fanatic. Sometimes I feel like a stalker when I have to turn around to check out a Boxer in someones car. :)

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
In that case I have one with too short of a nose(foreground) and one with a nose too long(Middle) and one with a perfect nose (background).

I don't show or anything, so I can't comment on nose sizes.....but may I just say......how cute are they?!?!? Omg I just wanna smooch those faces!! I'm no professional, but their perfect to me :)

Gunther

Super Boxer
Those look Euro to me? The Euro's have bigger heads and shorter muzzles, the American's have a narrower face and longer muzzles. Then there are the American/Euro's, those I haven't figured out?

iluvfrankie

Completely Boxer Crazy
I am friends with many shelters on facebook and have yet to see a Boxer looking for a home..

Hi Roge,

If you are looking or know someone who is- and have fb- there is a page called Boxers For Adoption in Ireland run by a girl in Kerry- there are always a few boxer beauties looking for homes on it- Many are adopted to the UK though as not enough homes step forward in Ireland. Also the Dogs Trust have a couple of boxer babes at the moment. As do Boxer Rescue Northern Ireland and Ashtown pound get them in regularly too- Thats where I go my boy just before Xmas_:) Lots of boxers unfortunately end up in pounds in here:(

If I didnt have a boxer..... or if my hubby gets his way.....my next dog (in addition to my 3 boxers) will be a Dobbie- we both loved them but id have to have my boxer fix!!!!!!!!!

Oh or a Boston......or Rhodesian.......or Frenchie..... or Hungarian Vizsla.... But my heart belongs to my beloved butt faces:)

Last edited:

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
My husband really likes the king Charles Spaniel. I think their cute and from what we read they seem like a sweet dog, but I'm just not a small dog person. I don't have anything against them!!!! Lol, I don't know why I just can't say I've been drawn to smaller dogs. My sister...in love with small dogs...her husband...wants a great dane lol. And he does love the boxer too :) he was Tysons sitter when we needed to leave, it was great, he got the bigger breed puppy fix lol.

penalope

Boxer Buddy
I had owned my first boxer last year from a friend of ours girlfriends dad. He could not take care of her and did not have the time for her. So my boyfriend and i went to look at her to see if we really wanted her and of course i wanted her as soon as i seen her. Poor baby was stuck outside in the COLD with food thrown all over the ground a little dog house for her to be in. I wanted to save this dog because i knew she had it pretty rough from looking at her enviorment. Well needless to say she became my pride and joy i loved her like i would love a child. She was very skittish and i believed she was also beaten on when she was younger. She needed us and needed a better home. After a little while of having her she started to get really ill stomach swollen and she wouldn't eat but she would drink water.Her symptoms came on out of no where. I immediately knew she needed a vets care. Come to find out she had a severe case of heartworms and was lucky she survived so long stage 5 of heartworms and sadly had to make the most heartbreaking desicion to have her put to sleep. The next day my boyfriends parents saw how distraught we were over losing her and wanted to get us another dog. I immediately had my heart on a boxer but ended up getting a doberman. We had him a month before we gave him to some wonderful people because our fence isn't closed in all the way and i mean this doberman was huge like over 110 pounds and he liked running away and hunting. i was to worried about him running into traffic and getting hit. In the end i ended back up with another baby boxer and let me tell you she is a hot mess. Just like a child. I think i will always go with a boxer but id like to get another doberman one day as well. It just disturbs me how many people wan't to own a pet but treat it like trash and neglect them or just breed them over and over again.

Last edited:

Gunther

Super Boxer
I had owned my first boxer last year from a friend of ours girlfriends dad. He could not take care of her and did not have the time for her. So my boyfriend and i went to look at her to see if we really wanted her and of course i wanted her as soon as i seen her. Poor baby was stuck outside in the COLD with food thrown all over the ground a little dog house for her to be in. I wanted to save this dog because i knew she had it pretty rough from looking at her enviorment. Well needless to say she became my pride and joy i loved her like i would love a child. She was very skittish and i believed she was also beaten on when she was younger. She needed us and needed a better home. After a little while of having her she started to get really ill stomach swollen and she wouldn't eat but she would drink water.Her symptoms came on out of no where. I immediately knew she needed a vets care. Come to find out she had a severe case of heartworms and was lucky she survived so long stage 5 of heartworms and sadly had to make the most heartbreaking desicion to have her put to sleep. The next day my boyfriends parents saw how distraught we were over losing her and wanted to get us another dog. I immediately had my heart on a boxer but ended up getting a doberman. We had him a month before we gave him to some wonderful people because our fence isn't closed in all the way and i mean this doberman was huge like over 110 pounds and he liked running away and hunting. i was to worried about him running into traffic and getting hit. In the end i ended back up with another baby boxer and let me tell you she is a hot mess. Just like a child. I think i will always go with a boxer but id like to get another doberman one day as well. It just disturbs me how many people wan't to own a pet but treat it like trash and neglect them or just breed them over and over again.
So sorry you lost your first Boxer like that. That really sucks but at least she did not pass away tied in a back yard unloved and alone so thank you for that, :)

That Dobbie was a bad dog, you did well to hand him off to someone better able to deal with him, His issues went well beyond needing a better fence!

Since this thread is about other breeds a bit of sound advice would be to join a Forum for whatever other breed you are considering! I wish I had done that when we rescued our BLK 7 month old GSD. He had a problem with our Male Bull/Masstiff mix. after 18 to 24 months (maturity high rank drive) When I did start looking for answers, it was like yep should have seen that one coming.

So a Dobbie? Yeah I'd join a Forum! :)

chrystel

Boxer Insane
That is great to read everyone's comments and ideas.

I don't know what the future will be... If i am ever out of boxer, i would miss you guys!!! :LOL:

I have been thinking of more uncommon breeds. I have been thinking bearded collies (my sister used to have one in the 90's) and picardy shepherds. The latest seems pretty cool (I am french, and always loved those and also beaucerons)

But again... i think about that.. and look at my puppies and think.. "but boxers are the best!"

lovicon

gulfcoastguy

Super Boxer
I've considered a Boston Terrier or a Daschund for when I got a good bit older and might have to give up the house with the yard.

Bastiansgrlz

Boxer Buddy
I got a boxer on a whim! My neighbor had puppies, didn't have enough homes, I said I'd take one! LOL

I'm okay with the decision and love my Sebastian but I do know that there are other breeds that I love. I do believe that I will get another yorkie one day.If that's sooner or later, I don't know. I've thought about getting one that's a little older (Like a retired female breeder/show dog) and not a puppy around the time Sebastian is 2-4 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.