1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do they ever calm down

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by jasonhbaum, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonhbaum

jasonhbaum Boxer Booster

Hello. I have two boxers - Izzy is two years old and Sophia is 8 months. My question is how old were your boxers before they settled down? Izzy seems to be calming down but I think it might just appear that way since Sophia is a raging maniac most of the time. I was walking them in the park one day and a guy walking past said his daughter had a boxer who was a few years older. He asked how old mine were. I asked when his daughters dog settled down and he said he hasnt yet. I love that they are so energenic but I was wondering when some others settled down

2. ljnash

ljnash Boxer Insane

Samantha started calming down when she was two, and was calm at 3! By calm, I mean she didn't do as much chewing, etc. She still does the boxer burn, etc., but not the destructive stuff.

Izzy is probably closer to being calm than Sophia!

Lenore

3. jmb9101

jmb9101 Super Boxer

I have two also, but they are only 6 months and 11 weeks, so mine are no where near calming down yet, but I have heard on this site, and in Boxer books that around 3 years they start to calm a little...I dont know how much they calm down, but they stay a puppy a long time! :)

4. SammynDqtz

SammynDqtz Boxer Insane

If you mean that crazy puppy stuff... sammy quit that when he was about 2 years old... but still has TONS of energy! ;)
    He is almost 8 years old and is starting to slow down a bit more... not as many boxer burns and that kind of thing. But still loves to romp and play ball in the back yard.

5. scribe1128

scribe1128 Super Boxer

Hmmmmm, Titus is 7 and shows no signs of slowing down!

6. kflanaga

kflanaga Boxer Booster

I swear I have a different breed! Simon is eight months old and the laziest thing I've ever seen. I show him his leash and he runs and lays down on his bed. He has never been awake more than four hours in a row, and even then, he spends most of that time laying on my feet.

But, get him at the park, and he's a nut.

That's just what I wanted in a dog!

7. gordsan

gordsan Super Boxer

Mason too is a total nut at the park - flying around like a crazy dog! He gets to go for three runs a day - at least an hour each time, and he usually has his buddies to chase around with, so get him home and he's usually pretty calm - except for the occasional demand of a game of ball!

I've noticed that now he's out of the crate full time, he's sleeping even more - I think because he doesn't sleep as much when I'm gone - prefering to roam around the house and explore!

Thankfully too, at 17 months old, he's started to appreciate the fine art of sleeping in and cuddling in the mornings!

All in all, he's perfect!

8. Dutchvrouw

Dutchvrouw Boxer Booster

We got Sullivan at 4 months. He was quite a bit more energetic than I remembered puppies being but it had been a long time since we'd had any kind of pup and we'd never had a boxer before. By 12 months I was looking for some kind of "maturity" but wasn't seeing even a hint. At two he started showing signs that he might some day grow up. By three I could walk him on a leash without having these sudden leaps into the air, spin around at the top of the arc and land on the other side of me, looking up with a thoroughly satisfied tongue-lolling grin. I kinda missed it (NOT). By five he had "dignity" which he was more than willing to toss aside if the spirit moved him. At 8 (almost 8 1/2) he's clearly an old fellow but he can still grin like the devil's inside him, just waiting for me to toss him a biscuit.

9. Super Boo

Super Boo Completely Boxer Crazy

Boo is about 14mos old. I don't know that she is "calm" but she is better able to focus on you. Her ADD attitude if fading. She now will listen before reacting (most of the time). I don't mind the energy--that's why I got a Boxer, but I want her to be safe and sane. She is just starting to become mentally mature.

So hang in there;)

10. Thomas Liggin

Thomas Liggin Boxer Insane

At a year and a half to two years, they will usually calm down somewhat. If there are youngsters to play with, they have the energy to keep up and will always act like puppies when they play.

In a home without so much activity they will tend to adapt and settle down. They still need plenty of exercise, and they will always be ready for a good knock down drag out.

While they may settle down in a quieter environment, it's where there is plenty of activity and stimulation that they thrive.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.