1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do the ears have to croppedto show?

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by amymboxer, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amymboxer

amymboxer Boxer Booster

Ok in the US show scene does the boxer's ears really have to be cropped? I met a lady here locally who purchased an imported dog from England and the lady who shows boxers said something about the contract does not allow the dog to have her ears cropped because the dog was from England. I think she was going to try and show her but the dog was to help her breeding program as well.
    I'm curious because I might consider purchasing a show dog in a few years, but I really prefer the floppy ears if I could get away with it. I really know very little about showing but I'm starting to think about it because I enjoy the breed so much and am concerned about ensuring good temperments so less dogs end up put down due to temperment issues or other general health issues.
    My Rufus and Roxy are both docked and floppy rescues and not even close to show quality but they are what made me love boxers.

2. hanley

hanley Boxer Insane

No they don't have to be cropped for show anymore, but if you buy a puppy for show, the contract may state for ears to be cropped, before showing ,then you honor that contract. Its all up to the breeder & contract.
    Hanley

3. amymboxer

amymboxer Boxer Booster

Thank you. I was wondering. Does it have a major impact on showing results for the dog if they arn't cropped?

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

That depends upon the judge ;) Some like natural ears and some don't.

Since the US boxer standard now describes natural ears, they cannot be considered as a fault - so you shouldn't get anyone openly discriminating against them. But that doesn't mean it can't happen in an non-open manner ;) But that's also something likely to change with time, and as more and more natural dogs are shown.

If you're considering a pup a few years down the track, it would be wise to check the state of play at the time. Could be that any and all discrimination will be gone by then ;)

5. Roxy_girl

Roxy_girl Boxer Booster

Well I'm about to embark on that journey this summer. the breeder i got Roxy from showed her mom to a CH(here in Canada under CKC) with floppy ears said it was a hard road and that you would need thicker skin ;) Roxy is plain brindle with floppy ears I had the sires breeder evaluate her and her feelings were that she has the stuff to do the "job" I'll just have to work for the win !!

6. erin7669

erin7669 Boxer Booster

I think we chatted before through the forum

hi there, if I am correct, you gave me some advice regarding a breeder in nothern ontario, when I was waiting for my pup. ( I was concerned because breeder wouldnt send many pics ) ... Anyhow, we have since gotten the little boy ( last december ) and are preping for our first show next month. He's natural eared, and his earset is awesome. While I do like the cropped ear, I don't like the idea of putting the pup through unecessary pain, when it has the potential to turn into a bad crop.... just my opinion, please no one take it to heart. I like the idea of showing more natural eared boxers, eventually it could be the norm! This being said, if I had a show potential pup and his only fault was an awful ear set, I would consider the cropping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.