Do I need a Boxer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElizabethH

Completely Boxer Crazy
Junior has never drooled and most boxers I've met do not either. He sheds very little and for a "big" dog, he is very gentle. We do not have skin babies but he is always sweet to the little people that we meet. In general he is not aggressive but one night when walking, we turned a corner and a young man was walking the opposite way. Junior instantly growled and barked at him.
So, I know that he can be protective when he needs to be.
Boxers are the best :)

Luey

Boxer Booster
Linda-not sure if you're still considering but I say go for it! Boxers are the best (Im sure you've realized we're very bias). Marley was sort of raised around a five year old. He's very protective of him and is gentle. The thing that amazes me the most though...I took him to a park near my house a few months back to run around and play. Happens that there were about five or six little kids (between 18 months and 6 yrs) running around and playing. I was a little worried he might accidently knock the kids down. Boy as I wrong, He was as gentle as a lamb. Even the youngest came up and put her face right in Marleys...wagged his little nub and gave a lick! They shed some and drool some but their companionship and loyalty make up for it! Marleys also the best guard dog. He doesnt bark alot but he does bark to let me know if he's leary of something or someone. They are deffinately a Breed above the rest!

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Originally posted by linda_18
My husband is not sure about having a dog that stays mostly in the house. I think shedding and drooling are his two big concerns. I have heard that most Boxers drool. That is something else we are weighing in our decision. I like the idea of having a dog in the house for protection. But, I do want it to spend some time outside. /B]

If this is the case, I would have to say the boxer may not be the breed for you. If you want a dog to spend alot of time outside you may want to research breeds such as siberian huskies. They are more independant than boxers and make great outside dogs. Boxers cannot tolerate hot or cold weather and are family oriented dogs meaning they need to be with their people. Boxers do shed although nothing compared to say a sheltie or collie. Boxers do drool, this is one of their endearing characteristics though you will come to find. If left alone for long periods of time or if not exercised properly, boxers are destructive. Although boxers are good with children you need to weigh the good with the bad and make the best decision for you and the dog - as you stated this is an animal that will be with you for a long time. I see too many boxers given up because people don't have the time for them, people don't train them properly or people just plain didn't research the breed and had no clue what they were getting into. Thank you for doing the research ahead of time :) Boxer rescue is a great place to find a boxer that is temperment tested and may fit in better with your family. They are usually well trained, crate trained, house trained and current on vaccinations....you know their tempermant and what to expect from them. You may want to pay a visit to your local boxer rescue and interact with a boxer there first to see how you feel. Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.