1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do bully sticks cause diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by jenc, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenc

jenc Boxer Buddy

I'm not sure where to post this, so hopefully this is the right spot. I have 2 4.5 month boxers and they are teething. I find their baby teeth everywhere! I went to Petco yesterday and asked the trainer what the best thing is for teething so that they don't end up chewing on our table or couch. He said that bully sticks were the best. I've read some posts on here warning about using them unsupervised, so I won't do that. Yesterday, our girl had a bully stick for about 30 minutes and there wasn't anything splintered off. I put her to bed around 10 and woke up to her barking a 3:45. This is unusual since they both have slept through the night for about a month. I took her out and she had really bad diarrhea. I gave her a little pumpkin and put her back in her crate. This morning her stools were normal. Do you think the bully stick caused it? Anyone have experience with this?

2. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

The bully stick definitely could have caused diarrhea. Some of them are processed with chemicals, so I would imagine that it could potentially cause stomach upset even if it wasn't ingested.

3. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

That depends on where you got the bully stick from and if it was real or not. I've seen some bully sticks that are man made and all processed garbage (corn, wheat, etc) pressed and made to look like one and truth be told, even I cannot tell the difference unless I look at ingredients so they ARE hard to spot. Always always always read the ingredients on bully sticks and if there aren't any listed then don't buy them. You want it to read "bull pizzle" or something along those lines as the only ingredient. Also, if your dog is allergic to beef, bully sticks are beef and can cause an issue too.

My Boxer has a bad allergy to beef, so he gets diarrhea, blisters, rash among other things if he has a regular bully stick, however I've found buffalo bully sticks and he is fine for those. You don't have to get the $20 each bully sticks, but be mindful of the ingredients as well as where they come from. You may want to try another brand and I'd recommend staying away from Petco and Petsmart for them. Try either online at decent places or a local feed store.

Good luck!

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Bully sticks could certainly have caused the problem - and that's even if they're the real thing, and your dog does not have an allergy to beef, etc. Like any other dried body part, bully sticks are a thriving mass of bacteria and they're NOT easy for dogs to digest. Which can mean that if the dog bites off chunks and swallows them, then they can sit around in the gut growing more bacteria and causing upset tummies (actually food poisoning, bacterial poisoning, or whatever you prefer to call it). If they're causing trouble for your dog, I'd just ditch them and try some other sort of chew (raw bones are hard to beat, and being what nature intended dogs to chew on, rarely cause problems).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.