1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Boxers Like WATER?? To Swim, play etc..?

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by nicolel151, Sep 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicolel151

nicolel151 Boxer Pal

We have a boxer and we took him to the Lake- he doesn't like the water very much, our other dog loves it-
    Is this something that boxers hate? Water? Does anyone have a boxer that is a water dog??:confused:

2. brandimonkey

brandimonkey Boxer Booster

depends..............

patrick has mixed feelings about water. i think it just depends on the individual boxer. he hates to "swim" but doesn't mind sloshing around in shallow water.........as long as it doesn't come too far above his paws. i wouldn't try to force you dog to like water. just be patient and see what happens.

3. ColleenAus

ColleenAus Super Boxer

yep its true they "cant" swim.....

BUT!!!!! you can teach them! some dogs do naturally love the water, but some just dont know how to SWIM! Boxers unfortunatley have issues with sinking and learning to keep there bum up and paddle at the same time - my advies find a pool and get in with your boxer - use treats and a lead to go under their tummy to lift there bum up and one at their colar to lift theirhead - they will eventually learn to do it by them selves! Shelby has had 3 swimming lessons and is now able to paddle like a pro! and she loves the water! you gottah show them that water isnt a bad thing ;)

4. boxers4life2001

boxers4life2001 Boxer Insane

Chance LOVES to swim. We have a lake up our cottage that we can't keep him out of. He is a very good swimmer and always has been since he was a pup. I did however buy him a life jacket just because he swims way out past the middle of the lake and will not stop swimming even if he is tired. I'm worried that he will get exhausted so it's added protection :) He likes to stick his whole head under the water and search for rocks. Most of the time if I say "come on Chance let's get a bath" he runs and jumps into the tub!!! Maddie on the other hasn't made her mind up on the water yet although she did go into a creek on sunday which shocked me. She didn't want anything to do with the lake at our cottage but went into the creek at the dog park :p

5. Tammy L

Tammy L Boxer Pal

My Phoebe loves water. I got her a kiddie pool and she loves rolling around in it and drinking it. And the bathtub, let me tell you, she is hilarious. I can not leave any bathroom doors open. She loves the bath and loves leaping into the tub all the time to drink. If she comes in from outside running around, you better watch out beacuse she will run you over to get to the bathroom to get a drink. Phoebe doesn't have much of a tongue therefore it is easier for her to drink from the spicket, but she is still able to drink from her bowl. Because she doesn't have much of a tongue she doesn't cool off well so that is why she constantly wants to drink. She is always in the dirt outside so when she is in the tub I am constantly washing her off and she doesn't mind one bit. When she was a puppy she had demodex mites and we had to bathe her once a week for months so she got used to baths real quick and loves them.

6. Barb_IA

Barb_IA Boxer Insane

Lacey can swim. It's been a long time since she went for a swim but, she walks right into the river when out for walks. I think she'd go for a swim if I'd let her. She's older and heavier and I don't want to risk losing her just to see if she can still swim.:)

7. Trish727

Trish727 Completely Boxer Crazy

water boy

Domino loves the water:D

He gets in the 6ft pool out back more than I do :p
    But he didnt really care for water until he was about a year old. He is now 3 and if it be pool,beach, or the shower he is there!!:D

8. Tucker's_mom

Tucker's_mom Super Boxer

We went to the dog park yesterday and there's a section with a dock and a lake for all the people with "water" dogs. We decided to go have a look. As soon as we got into the fence we took Tucker and Kaia off their leashes and let them run up ahead. Kaia has always *seemed* to like the water, she just hasn't really had the opportunity to swim. She went running right up the dock and jumped right off the end like she'd been doing it her whole life. She went completely under which freaked me out a bit, but she swam back to where she could touch and then wouldn't get out of the water. Tucker, who seems to have a love/hate relationship with water, also surprised us by jumping in when someone through a ball for their dog. He did all right, but was happy to get back out.

I think they did *ok* in the water, but I'd be MUCH happier if next time we brought life jackets. It's getting a little to chilly for me to want to jump in and save them (even though I would if necessary :rolleyes: ).

9. Duka

Duka Boxer Pal

We haven't had Duka to the beach yet to see if he'll swim, but about a week ago after a couple of heavy rains we took him to his favorite park and he surprised both of us by running and jumping/sliding into any pool of standing water that he could find. He loved it! We'll have to see how he does at a pool/beach.

10. geaux dog

geaux dog Boxer Pal

beach boxers

I have two boxers, Bacchus and Luna, and live near the beach. They both love to jump waves and play, but HATE to swim. They sink like a rock and wont go very far into the water. This gets frustrating for them sometimes because they try to go after the kids in the water. Don't worry if they won't swim. They will have fun in the water in their own way.

Angie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.