Disgusting! HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyTysmom

Super Boxer
So yesterday Tyson decided that it would be a good idea to start eating his poop! EWE....anyone have any helpful hints to get him to stop? Has anyone tried any of those things you can add to their food to make the poop taste bad so they won't eat it? Any help would be much appreciated

Sansal

Boxer Insane
Happy does it, too. Not only her own, she also eats other dogs poop :( I have not found a way yet to stop her from doing so. I keep my yard 100% clean and make sure to pick up everything before I let her out or unattended.

lmorey

Boxer Booster
Forbid

You can ask your vet about Forbid - it's a powder you add to their food for a few days. We used it for June, and it worked for us. A lot of people on here don't recommend using it because it has MSG.

Stub

Completely Boxer Crazy
I have heard that feeding one chunk of canned pineapple per day will stop this. I have no direct experience though. My pup ate his poop when he was a baby but only when he went in the house. I think the people I got him from must have punished the puppies and he was trying to hide the evidence. Once he was totally house trained it stopped.

TossBranAbi

Boxer Insane
The chunk pineapple does work, used it on my dog at one point in time. I gave more than one chunk though, she loved it and it worked.

I would clean up the poop right away so there is no chance of eating it but also try the pineapple because I know it is not always feasible to clean it up immediately. The pineapple is better than trying the powders and stuff anyhow because it is natural.

Good luck, I know how disgusting it is!

rayandsarah

Completely Boxer Crazy
I agree with using the pineapple too. My mom's dachshund used to eat her poop and they tried pineapple and she hasn't eaten any since. Plus she thought she was getting treats with the pineapple haha.

sriley

Completely Boxer Crazy
I used pineapple when my boys went through their poop-eating phase. I was also told that overfeeding can cause dogs to eat their poop as the food passes through them undigested making the poop appetizing to them. I cut back their meal portions and I'm not sure if it was the smaller meals, the pineapple, or a combination of both, but it solved the problem. I also made sure the poop was cleaned up as soon as they went and didn't leave the dogs unattended when they went out to do their business.

Good luck. I know how awful this nasty habit is.

TyTysmom

Super Boxer
Thanks Everyone! Seems to have been an isolated occurance as he is no longer doing it. Let's hope it continues.

Elwood

Boxer Pal
little bit of salt or some ketchup with it and it might go down better, Just kidding. Keep the yard clean as possible as everybody has said.

Status
Not open for further replies.