Digging Holes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpf

Boxer Pal
I have caught Maximus trying to dig before. But tonight was the worst. I left for approximately 10 minutes to go to the store. When I got back from the store, I looked out the window to see what he was doing and to my amazement. He had dug hole six inces deep by about 8 inches wide and boy was I mad. I have been trying to get the grass thicker and it was working until now. But I could not be mad long. When I scolded him he looked so sad I could not stay mad. He is so cute and such a good dog. I really can't be mad at him. This is the first bad thing that he has done that has made me mad. He is 11 weeks old. So I know he does not know better but he learns fast so I don't think he will try again anytime soon. I am sure you all have a story similar to this one when your furkids were pups.

------------------
Maximus- Flashy, natural ears, fawn and white with socks.

L

lb

oh my!!! lol lol lol
i wouldn't bet money on him not doing it again! then again perhaps you'll have better luck that i have had.just about the time i think harleys gotten over the diggin thing...low and behold....there's the new hole to china!
you are right about one thing for sure though...how can u ever stay mad! they are such precious babies!

------------------
LB,JB,Mikey (2 year old cat) & Sergeant Major Harley (black reverse male brindle born Jan.21,00)

Darcy

Boxer Buddy
The hole was only 6 inches deep! You're are lucky
biggrin.gif
!! Sometimes when I catch Gabbie, all I see is a little wiggling "hiney" sticking out of a hole with dirt flying everywhere. It looks so funny that I can't help but laugh. Anyway, I have yet to curtail the hole digging problem. I can only stop her when I catch her in the act. The reason I haven't aggresively worked on this problem is because I live in the country and we have a huge gopher problem (they are even undermining my brick patio). Every now and then, Gabbie can catch one!

Good luck Stumpf, sorry I don't have any suggestions!

biggrin.gif
Darcy

------------------
Gabbie, 4/20/99 fawn fe, natural ears
Cassie, 2/99 (adopted 7/00) flashy brindle fe, cropped ears

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Dogs love to dig. Try giving Maximus an area he is allowed to dig in, like a sand pit. Then maybe he will leave the rest of your garden alone. If there are lots of cats around, it would be a good idea to cover it when no one is outside.

------------------
Jan
Markus, dark brindle
neutered male, 6 yrs old

B

Badassboxer

I heard that Boxers will dig when it's hot (or maybe it's an Arizona thing - I would dig for cool dirt too if I was outside in this heat!) Debo never dug before, but if I let him out, he will now - UNTIL I starting putting water in the kiddie pool now he sits in the water!

Someone mentioned that giving him his own place to dig would work - I think that's a GREAT idea if possible!

JoAnn

Super Boxer
I am absolutely at the end of my rope with this digging business. Samson had outgrown his digging stage, but now Athena is going through it and he has decided to help her in her quest for the underworld. They love to dig by my front gate, which means my carport is always full of dirt, not to mention the dirt they bring in, mine not only like to dig but also have a taste for dirt too, it is so gross because it stays up in their lips, then they go drink, then come in a shake and fling mud all over the place. Not to mention I have to clean under their lips so they don't get some sort of mouth infection from it. My solution, when they are outside, I sneak up on them, scold them and send them for time outs in their crates. I have this delusion that if I am persistant they might get it into their heads that digging is a no no.

Suzanna828

Boxer Booster
I can tell Jake is digging by the NOISES. When I hear all of that snorting and snuffing I know he's up to no good!
wink.gif
Last week we planted a new garden, and used mulch. Jake seems to think that's his litter box.
mad.gif
Oh, well. What can you do?

------------------
Suzanna - Mom to Jake, 2 year old fawn male, floppy ears, docked tail

nanabear

Banned
I will just add that I have heard good results with filling up the hole with their own poop and they won't dig there anymore. But I think the key phrase is..."won't dig THERE". I bet they would start a new one one foot over!

Jennifer(Jenny)Jones

Boxer Booster
I have a 6 by 12 sandbox in the yard, in the shade, for the kids. It is the only place in the back yard Baxter digs. He only seems to dig enough to get to cool sand. It might be a good investment to put one in your yard too. I tried the pool thing t cool him down but he just uses it for an oversized drinking bowl!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.