1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different docked tail styles??

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Jamers, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamers

Jamers Boxer Buddy

I was just wondering if there are different ways to dock tails. My 10 month old boxer's tail doesn't have hair on the tip of it. All other boxers I have seen do have hair on the end of their tails. Is there a wrong way of docking?

2. dan h

dan h Super Boxer

Well, I know that there are different lengths of dock. But as far as having hair or not is not part of any docking style. Max didn't have hair on the end of his tail either, but he has grown hair on it. Sumi, on the other hand, didn't have hair and doesn't seem like there are any growing now.

3. ivarious

ivarious Boxer Pal

I think you're question was about the hair growing back, I'm curious about the docking too but I'm curious about the different lengths I see. I'm convinced Sierra's is correct of course, she's my dog :) . Her tail is a few inches long, maybe between three and four.. I've seen boxers with little knubs for tails, and they just don't look right. Is there a right and wrong way?

Given the choice I would have kept her tail, as I'm convinced Sierra wouldn't be so clumsy if she had one.. but, ah well. She just eats the prostetic ones so what can I do.

:confused:

4. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Tyson doesn't have fur on the tip of his tail but my other 3 do. There could be many reasons for it...I've read that the skin on the tail should be pulled towards the dogs body when docking so that when finished there will be 'extra' to cover the tail tip. I've read that if the tail isn't docked between bones but instead, a bone is actually cut then the bone will grow (maybe this could cause no fur to grow on the tip). I also think that if the stitches are broke before healing then the tip will be left bald or if no stitches are used at all then the skin won't heal together leaving the tip bald. Whatever the reason you get used to it.:)

As for length...they are docked at many different lengths depending on the vet or the breeders choice. I personally like them around 2 - 2 1/2 inches in length. If freaks me out to see a stub so long it can bend...don't ask me why, it's just one of those things. :o

5. diego's heart

diego's heart Boxer Insane

Alisha, me too :o! ~ Lisa

6. MollyMoose

MollyMoose Guest

Molly doesnt have any hair on the tip of her tail. I believe that it has alot to do with the mother of the pup constantly licking the stitches on her little baby!

7. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

:LOL: Glad I'm not the only one!

Okay, just read that there are no "in between bones" at such a young age (there aren't any vertabrae yet...just cartilage). Not sure if bone can still grow but docking between the bones would be impossible.:)

8. nmac

nmac Boxer Pal

Tail Length

Hi!
    I really do not care for the short tiny stub tails, although that is all my one male has!
    When I do tails on pups I always cut them at 2 vertebrae. I have yet to be disappointed! :)

9. PSUHeather

PSUHeather Boxer Booster

Some vets use a skin glue instead of stiches to close the skin after docking the tail. The breeder whom I got Trace from let the vet use the glue, and Trace's tail end is bright pink skin and the hair is jagged (think Charlie Brown's shirt) along the skin/hair line.
    My personal opinion is the glue didn't hold for the tail to heal properly. It gives her no problems- it's just ugly. Miss Mell's breeder insisted on stiches, and her tail (no, not the breeder's) is beautiful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.