Diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbiglarderi

Boxer Pal
Hello Forums!
I have a 6 month old boxer/bull mastiff mix puppy-Scrappy...he got neutered 11/22/13 all was good...He had been having soft poops since about 11/27 then On day 10 (luckily) we came home from work/school (my son) to poor Scrappy in his crate covered in diarrhea ;-{ My son took him right up to the bath and since it was day 10 after neuter he could have one thank god! So I started on the rice the next day (let his tummy rest for the night) and by the end of the next day around 10:30 pm he had harder poop....fed him the rice the next day and then on 12/5 he pooped out what I can only describe as lining of some sort...it looked like the fat from the chicken when you clean it...and it was still somewhat solid so that night I gave him his regular food...not good...this morning he had semi-serve poop...anyone know what this could be and should I get him back on his rice and mix in some ground beef? Im thinking he ate his stupid rawhide bone and its upsetting his stomach....if he has the runs he doenst have a blockage, correct...no throwing up and he is as active as he always has been playing with our other dog and running...no signs of distress/pain or irritation...advice? Thanks!

Tessa

Boxer Booster
Sounds to me like the "lining" was rawhide that had been in his belly for a while, which probably caused everything else. I'd give it some more time. If he's eating, playing, and going the bathroom, you are probably good with waiting and seeing how he is in a few days. You can mix rice with his kibble to help. Good luck!

whiskers

Boxer Insane
I'd do a 12 hour fast, then put him on a boiled burger/rice diet. You want 2/3 rice to 1/3 meat. Feed him 3-4 times a day (however works with your schedule), do that for a few days as long as his poop is improving. Once he's had a couple days of good poops, start gradually adding back in his regular food.

If he doesn't start getting better then probably he'll need a vet visit to get some antibiotics to clear it up.

bbiglarderi

Boxer Pal
update

Well brought a stool sample in to vet...came back with whip worm....I feel like a bad mommy my babies had worm probs since I got him @ 8 weeks.. he had round worms also .. do 3 days on panacur then a monthly heat worm with worm preventative in it.
Thanks for your advise! Much appreciated..

hyatt

Boxer Pal
I just mentioned this on another thread but we recently put our 9 y/o boxer on Fruitables canned pumpkin. Just a spoon or two with her food. It has already made a difference. Our boxer had had belly issues since day 1, so it is great to see some consistency in her poop! We also give her micro flora plus for a probiotic. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.