1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diarrhea - Brown rice the culprit?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by StellaBee, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acsonpg

acsonpg Boxer Buddy

I came acorss 2 foods from Natural Balance; Sweet Potato & Fish and Potato & Duck. Neither one has rice in the formula. Comments, please.

2. ROROSHELTON

ROROSHELTON Super Boxer

Natural Balance

I have been feeding Natural Balance Potato Duck since Brutus was diagnosed w/ Irritable Bowel Syndrome. He was throwing up yellow bile and had progressively gotten worse w/ diarrhea to the point he couldn't hold it anymore. He was on lamb and rice from a puppy and he suddenly over a 6 week period of time didn't do well anymore at the age of 2. I had to put him on the medicine for one week, take him off food for 24 hours. I read everything I could on IBS and colitis problems and found out rice and grains were bad for this problem. I switched him to Natural Balance Potato Duck and also add about 1T canned pumpkin to each meal and he is much improved. His poop is solid, no more throwing up. I'm going to cut back on the pumpkin and see how he does but he likes it so I'm not sure it's a problem if he gets it all the time. These dogs also need fiber in their diet so I give Brutus apples and carrots for treats but very few as I don't want him to go the opposite way with too much fiber! It's a great food.

3. mmsimon

mmsimon Super Boxer

I just had to put my 2 cents in...I am not sure where the information came that brown rice is easy to digest. It is not. White rice is. Brown rice is VERY high in insoluble fiber, which means it does come out just like it went it. That is normal for brown rice (it functions just like corn hulls). Insoluble fiber is never easy on the GI system, but white rice is ideal because it is just soluble fiber, which actually absorbs water. Sooooo, maybe white rice is okay for your baby, which would keep your options considerably more open :)

4. StellaBee

StellaBee Super Boxer

Thanks for the input. I was starting to worry about Stella's food choices being so limited - she's such a picky eater!

5. buffylvangel

buffylvangel Boxer Booster

My IBD dog does great on the Nature's Variety Venison Medley. This version has no rice. When the Vet told us to try hamburger and rice, it didn't help her diarehha either. The rice came out whole.

Try the NV, it's got millet and pumpkin seed for grains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.