1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diarrhea - Brown rice the culprit?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by StellaBee, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StellaBee

StellaBee Super Boxer

Stella has had diarrhea on and off for like a month. This past weekend, I was at my boyfriend's house and she was eating Iams Large breed puppy - basically chicken & corn (garbage, I know), but the diarrhea cleared up after 2 days. To be safe, I took her to the vet yesterday and they ran tests for fecal flotation and Giardia (I thought maybe she picked up a bug at the dog park). Both were negative. $118.00 later I ended up with no answers as to what the culprit was and a medicine for Stella that "might" help - it's called Metronidazole.

The vet suggested I feed her some boiled hamburger with brown rice last night b/c it's easy on her stomach. She did NOT digest the rice at all!!! Back to diarrhea. When she pooped, it looked exactly the same coming out as it did going in. About six weeks ago, Stella was eating Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato (no brown rice) and doing fine. Then I switched her to Wellness Simple Solutions - Venison (w/brown rice), for variety of protein, and that's when she got diarrhea. I threw out the rest of that bag and switched to Wellness Lamb & Rice (w/brown rice). She's been eating that for the last two weeks and been having diarrhea on and off.

I thought brown rice was supposed to be so digestible...is there a possibility the brown rice is the culprit???

2. abbey_eisma

abbey_eisma Boxer Buddy

Try boiling chicken and then using that water to make rice. I would stick to that for a few days until the diarrhea clears up. Then try mixing some food in with it...if it still continues go back to the rice and chicken...

3. dharmadoodle

dharmadoodle Boxer Pal

Brown rice is full of nutrition, & white rice is bland coz it has been stripped of its nutrition.

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Yes, there is a possibility that it is the rice causing the problem. Rice is generally a "good" grain (in so far as grains can be good) to feed because it is low-allergenic and easier than most grains to digest. But that does not mean that every single dog does fine with rice! Some are allergic to it (even if far more dogs are allergic to other grains), and it's possible that that's the case with yours.

Instead of rice, what about trying her on some boiled hamburger or chicken with potato, or with oatmeal. If that clears up the diarrhoea problem, then it's a fair bet that your dog is one individual who does not do well with rice. That's fine - you would then simply need to avoid foods with rice in it (which will cut your options down significantly - rice is very common in dog food because it causes problems for very few dogs - but there are still plenty of good foods to choose from that don't have rice in them).

5. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

Chancey doesn't tolerate brown rice at all. She does well with white rice though.

6. KonaKoffe

KonaKoffe Boxer Pal

Here's some additional information:
    Brown rice is more nutritious than white rice. That said, when you are having diarrhea problems you really want a very bland diet.

White rice is used when diarrhea is present because it helps to prevent dehydration and is very bland.

The Metronidazole is an antibiotic and can cause additional intestinal problems. Here is a list a side effects:

Diarrhea
    dizziness or lightheadedness
    headache
    loss of appetite
    nausea or vomiting
    stomach pain or cramps

7. robinette

robinette Boxer Booster

Vegas has been on SS Venison for quite somtime now and he constantly has diarea. I don't know if its the wellnes itself or the rice. I just picked up a bag of the new Canidae Chicken and Rice which has white and brown rice in it and will see if that makes a difference. We are limited to rice though cause of his severe grain & protien allergies.

Good luck, I will let you know if the Canidae does any good or not.

8. acsonpg

acsonpg Boxer Buddy

Anyone have a list of premium kibble without brown rice? I’d like to switch from CS to one without brown rice.
    Thanks

9. StellaBee

StellaBee Super Boxer

Thank you for all of the insight! I think because I knew that brown rice was supposed to be so easily digested (by most dogs), I was reluctant to narrow Stella's reaction down to it. I'm going to take gmacleod's advice and boil some hamburger with oatmeal or potato to help Stella out until she clears up. I think I'm also going to flush the vet's Metronidazole down the toilet! Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Keep me posted about good rice-free kibbles!

10. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

If your dog is an adult, then I'd suggest a completely grainless food such as Innova's EVO, Solid Gold's Barking At The Moon, Nature's Variety Prairie Raw Instinct or Timberwolf Organics' Wild and Natural.

Those are outstanding foods that are completely grain-free. However, they're also very high in protein, and shouldn't be fed to growing puppies. So if your dog is under about 18 months, it's safer to hold off on those ones until she reaches musculoskeletal maturity (about 18 months).

Good quality rice-free alternatives that are suited to pups include:
    • Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish formula
    • Natural Balance Potato and Duck formula
    • California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato
    • Breeder's Choice Pinnacle Chicken & Oats
    • Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato formula
    • Healthwise (Naturapet - makers of Innova and Cal Natural) Lamb & Oatmeal
    • Flint River Ranch Premium Fish & Chip dog food
    • Nature's Variety Prairie Venison Medley formula

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.