1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diarrhea and Food

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Mosesdog, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mosesdog

Mosesdog Boxer Pal

I'm been feeding Moses, Wellness Super Chicken for about 7-8 months with no problems until recently. He's gone through a mad spell of diarrhea. We've taken action, i.e. rested his stomach, boiled turkey and rice, Vet presribed Flagyl and a diet of Science Diet W/D mixed with I/D. Both of these techniques worked well until we re-introduced the Wellness (slowly of course), it would take about a day and then explosive diarrhea. I don't want to continue Moses on SD W/D and I/D one because it's not a good food and two because he's already skinny and those are typically used as a weight loss diet. So my question is, does anybody have any recommendations regarding a good, easy to digest, food for a Boxer? I've seen NV Duck and Potato mentioned on here alot, and am leaning towards trying that. I like the idea of raw but really don't think it's in the cards right now due to cost and time. I know that this is likely me being paranoid but when I got a new bag of Wellness, Moses sniffed it strangely and that's also when all the problems started, so I'm suspicious that I might have gotten a bad bag of food...regardless, I'm going to switch to something else.

I'm putting the long (really) long version of whats going on below, if you're interested, or if it helps your suggestion....

About 3 weeks ago he started having diarrhea, we
    withheld food for a day to rest his gut and then fed him boild turkey and
    rice. It seemed to work, gradually put him back on his food (Wellness Super Chicken) and bam diarrhea again. So we followed the same steps again, but this time keeping him on the Turkey/Rice combo a bit longer and even more gradually bringing him back onto the Wellness. Well, same result and we went to our vet. He checked for giardia, looked him over (very thoroughly, we're very happy with this Vet) and here was
    his possible diagnosis..

1.) Parasitic, Giardia- Fecel test came back negative
    2.) Stress- Moses is a bit of a hung strung dog, and we had just taken care
    of our friends dog for about a week (9yr old Am Staff, that he lived with
    from 8 weeks to almost a year, so pretty much his "Mom") and she had returned home when this started happening.
    3.) Some underlying medical issue (kidney, etc...this has to do with some
    previous pee issues that I won't go into now) He said he didn't think things meritted really going deep into this at the time and we should investigate other areas before going through a gauntlet of tests.

The Vet decided to put him on Metronidizole (Flayl) for 7 days as he felt
    his gut probably needed it just to get everything working properly again,
    and put him on Prescription Diet W/D and I/D. Everything has worked wonderfull but once back on the Wellness, the diarrhea returns.

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Do you suppose that that particular bag of Wellness may have spoiled? It does happen (no kibble or manufacturer is immune).

3. sherimontez

sherimontez Boxer Buddy

I have tried many foods and I think it just depends on your dog.

I currently have mine on innova evo, but have fed nutro and california natural in the past, as well as pedigree a long time back (when I was poor!!!), and I have one dog who does great and one dog who always seems to have diarrhea, no matter what he eats. Allergies are hard to pinpoint. Excitbalility and stress also can be a factor.

Good Luck.

Sheri

4. Mosesdog

Mosesdog Boxer Pal

That's what I'm thinking... I agree that anything can happen. I was a bit nervous from the get go with the new bag as he seemed hesitant (which is unlike him with any food). However at this point I'm tempted to just switch him to a new food altogether rather than try to rule that out (i.e. get a new bag of Wellness, ween him to that, find that he might have just developed a problem with Wellness, go back on W/D & I/D, ween to something new, etc..). He was good on the Wellness but not great, occasional soft stools, prettty gassy... so I'm not against switching to something.

Should I have a concern with the Duck and Potato food if he doesn't have any allergy problem with grains etc... I've heard somewhere that withholding or switching away from certain foods might cause allergies or limt options in the future (something to that effect). I read on these posts that Duck/Potato also helped another dog facing urinary issues due to rice. Moses doesn't have major urine problems, he just tends to pee alot and has a slightly low urine concentration.

I know that you're in favor of raw, but if raw isn't an option would wet/canned be better than dry? If so any recommendations, my only hesitation with canned is the nastiness (smell and look for me) of putting in his bowl.

By the way, I have to thank you for a ton of your previous posts that have proven very helpful for me and Moses. Thanks.

5. DCJones

DCJones Boxer Pal

I had some similar problems with Tango. I was feeding him Blue Buffalo, it was the best option available locally, and felt quite confident in the food so when he started with diarrhea I had taken basically the same approach you did with vet and stool sample etc.

I finally decided to try an allergenic formula, I went first with Natural Balance sweet potato and fish and almost immediately, firm hard stools, small poops, he likes it and his weight and muscle mass have improved. I have recently switched to Acana's potato and fish to give him a change and same results. I actually find I can feed him a little less with the Acana as it has more protein/calories.

Best of luck.

6. Mosesdog

Mosesdog Boxer Pal

I think we are going to try the Duck and Potato food for a bit. I need to get him back on the W/D & I/D mix to get firm stools again and then I'll start switching him over. I really hope this works because it's beyond tough seeing him so sad and skinny.

On a side note, he woke me up at 4am last night to take him out...which was good because when I opened the door some guy had broken into my garage and was in the process of stealing my bike. Moses went crazy barking, growling at the guy and the dude took off running. If the guy didn't have a heart attack I bet he pooped his pants! My sweet little dog, sick as can be, but still protecting us.

7. caliesma

caliesma Boxer Pal

We have had success with Solid Gold after we discovered Max was allergic to wheat....we tried everything before we finally found a food that "agreed" with him. The thing about allergies, however, is that they develop after you have been exposed to it already (just like humans). I don't think the switching would necessarily cause that...unless there has been the previous exposure. They are tricky to figure out...we got lucky after some online research.

Good luck and hope the little one gets better!

8. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

I responded to somebody else a minute ago on a different stool question, but will recap here.

I fed and recommended Wellness for 8 years but finally stopped after battling diarrhea for months (worst when I'd open a new bag, would taper off until I thought I was crazy, then start again with a new bag -- only put 2+2 together afterwards.)

Place I bought it from said other Wellness buyers were having the same issue (I fed Lamb and Rice, don't know if they all did - this was last Spring - 2006). Switched to Artemis and the problem went away in both dogs. Later learned that more and more people who bought at this store (it had been one they highly recommended) were ditching it, including the guy who ran the DEA kennel of beagles in Boston.

Last I heard, the company kept telling them that "We're not hearing of any problems" even though she herself was reporting that people were returning food left and right. I've also heard from people who bought it elsewhere that new formulations didn't agree with their dogs.

I'd switch foods, and bind with a few tablespoons of pumpkin in the meantime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.