Diarreah

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbaker

Boxer Booster
So, little guy's got diarreah. Started on day 1 with shivering then I came into the living room to a pile of diarreah. He's had it now for three days, but the shivering stopped second day. I talked to Vet, they've advised to stop feeding for 24-hours, after 24-hours provide a little yogurt for live culture for stomach, later feeding boiled chicken, rice and raw carrots. They suggests see if stool solidifies afterwards, if not they will start with a stool sample and go from there.

Shots up to date.
Nothing ingested that we're aware of.
Turning 3 in June.
Eating, Drinking behaving normally.
Nothing odd accept a hot spot on his butt.

Any thoughts?

whiskers

Boxer Insane
I would second your vet - fast and then bland diet :)

One thing with the bland diet is try to do small, frequent meals if you can. It's hard if you're not home during the day... but, feeding 1/4 cup of food every couple hours is easier on the stomach than feeding just 2 big meals.

qbaker

Boxer Booster
I would second your vet - fast and then bland diet :)

One thing with the bland diet is try to do small, frequent meals if you can. It's hard if you're not home during the day... but, feeding 1/4 cup of food every couple hours is easier on the stomach than feeding just 2 big meals.

You always have such good and kind feedback. Thank you very much. I will take your advice.
Are these stomach bouts (hoping that's all it is) pretty normal every now and then, or otherwise to you know?

Kisaq

Super Boxer
I would use pumpkin not carrots. Pumpkin has better fiber content and seems to be easier to digest (at least for my dogs). When I feed carrots, they always seem to come out one end or the other undigested (cooked too).

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Ditto on the carrots. I don't know why your vet would suggest feeding raw carrots. Dogs do not digest raw vegetables very well. They will come out the same way they went in. :(

A little pumpkin would be good, but no more than a tablespoon. Too much will have to opposite effect that you are looking for. :( Oatmeal is also a good alternative to white rice. It's easy to digest.

I hope you dog feels better soon.!

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
When I read the raw carrots I said "Huh?" to myself too. I've never been recommended that as part of a bland diet after stomach upset. If I give my dogs raw carrot for a snack it always comes out the other end as undigested little bits. I do second the recommendation for a bit of cooked pumpkin though. Sweet potato works well too.

qbaker

Boxer Booster
Ditto on the carrots. I don't know why your vet would suggest feeding raw carrots. Dogs do not digest raw vegetables very well. They will come out the same way they went in. :(

A little pumpkin would be good, but no more than a tablespoon. Too much will have to opposite effect that you are looking for. :( Oatmeal is also a good alternative to white rice. It's easy to digest.

I hope you dog feels better soon.!

She did suggest the pumpkin as well. Oatmeal's a great idea. and Thanks!

MichBoxerMom

Boxer Buddy
YES! I have this problems 1-2 times a month regardless of what I feed. I started adding digestive enzymes and probiotics by Mercola and it has helped but Boxer tummys can be a nightmare if you ask me! I always know when its going to happen now because he gets the shivers and then the tummy growls.. If it happens early in the day typically by late afternoon he is back to normal, but only after he vomits or has diarrhea.....
One other suggestion is we stopped feeding the canned food mixed with kibble and now just add some HK Preference. It has considerably cut out the grains and fat which will help!
Good luck...

Kisaq

Super Boxer
A rescue that I almost fostered for had a name for it ... "Boxer Belly" ... lol.

Everyone of mine has had the excess tummy gurgles and an occasional need for brief fasting and a bland diet. I had my old boy on omeprazole for the last year of his life they were so bad. He was scared of his tummy gurgles poor boy.

I guess it goes along with the notorious boxer gas. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.