Diaharrea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murf

Boxer Buddy
We have a five month old puppy who seems to be having a difficult time with Wellness Puppy. He seems to have diaharrea most of the time as well as some vomiting. We have also noticed that he has been shedding more than he was about 6 weeks ago. He has never had a grain free food so we are thinking of switching him to see if we can solve some of these issues. When we brought him home from the breeder he was on royal canin. He was doing well on it but after researching it we found it not to be the highest quality of food so we switched him to Wellness. We need to change his food because obviously he isn't doing well on the Wellness. However we were considering changing him to Orijen but are wondering if we should take the time to switch him slowly or just cold turkey. He is having runny stools already and this could be causing him some stomach cramping so we do not want to prolong it for him. Any thoughts or suggestions?

NB: He has been to the vet and stool sample is ok.

Cami

Boxer Insane
How much are you feeding per meal? How many meals a day?
Sometimes too much food at once is enough to cause these issues.

Murf

Boxer Buddy
He gets the recommended amount on the bag. We keep it down for him throughout the day to free feed. However he is never over feeding. Never seems to gorge himself. He seems to be more of a picker and will eat more when he is more active in the late afternoon. Although the diarehha has caused him to wake up in the night sometimes. This is very unlike him. He gets lots of exercise and play during the day so when 9:00 pm comes he looks forward to going into his crate and sleeping all night.

johann

Boxer Insane
I fed Wellness puppy to Johann when he was younger. In my experience, the recommended amounts were way more than he ended up needing to eat.

Are you planning to free-feed once he's an adult?

I don't think it could hurt to switch to a new food and see if he improves. Might be worth trying to feed him less Wellness and see if that takes care of the diarrhea.

Murf

Boxer Buddy
I think I will put him back on RC because he really was doing fine on it.I know its not the best food that is why I switched in the first place.I feed him whats recommened on the bag but he still doesn't eat it all anyway so I don't think feeding less Wellness would work.I would love to put him on Orijen but the high protein content might be worse for him right now but when he gets to an adult I am probably going to put him on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.