1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dewclaws or No Dewclaws

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by owensmj, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owensmj

owensmj Boxer Pal

We have a litter of pups and got their tails docked today. I assumed the vet would remove the dew claws today as well, but he said since there weren't any on their back feet and since the front dew claws weren't "hanging", that it wasn't necessary. Do any of you have boxers with dew claws?? Any advice on whether there are specific reasons to have them removed??? Thanks a lot for the help and advice!

2. magoo's_mama

magoo's_mama Super Boxer

I'm fairly certain boxers don't have declaws on thier back legs. And the reason for having the front ones removed would be that they can catch and rip, which can cause alot of bleeding and pain. My Magoo has declaws and it hasn't been a problem so far. If they're going to be removed it should be done when thier still babies.

3. adeinert

adeinert Boxer Insane

Since you have a dog of impeccable quality and health lines for breeding, I must ask what do the other members of your local boxer club or show circles do?

All the boxers I know have their dew claws removed. Once in awhile one comes into rescue from a backyard breeder (you know the kind who breed their dog but aren't professionals seeking to better the breed) and they have dewclaws. That's my area.

I've seen dewclaws ripped on other breeds and it's horribly painful for the dog.

Ashlie

4. Sabrina Jay

Sabrina Jay Boxer Insane

The dewclaws should have been removed when the tails were docked. The only boxers I have also seen with dewclaws are the ones from BYB's &/or Commercial Breeding establishments....and generally the Commercial Breeding Establishments have done dewclaws/tail docking.

Did you not specifiy to your vet regarding the dewclaws? Many times vets won't do something unless you told them. Boxers are not born with rear dewclaws & this vet should have known that! Many breeds aren't born with rear dewclaws, but the fronts are removed!

5. White Strike

White Strike Boxer Pal

Sam had his dewclaws removed at two days old at the same time as his tail was docked.

6. maxsmomk

maxsmomk Boxer Buddy

My breeder, a reputable one here in my neck of the woods removes dew claws based on need. adn she does her docking the same way now. She spent a few years in europe and her ways were swayed because of that. Max hadhis til docked but not the dew claws. But he had two sister that were show quality adn had everythign done and one brother that was shiped to spain to show there that had nothign done either.no til not claws done. So not not every good breeder out there will do it. Some have opinions as to why things should be done and do that accordingly. She bases on weather she already has some one requestion it not done, weather they are show prospect here int he states or overseas.. or if they agility, or working dog. or the regular old family pet.These all play a role in her chioce of what to do to her litters..I belive its now her personal belif that dockign altogether is wrong adn she does only do it based ont he furture of the dog......

Maxsmom, Kellie

7. K&JLennox

K&JLennox Boxer Pal

I have a 6 month old boxer and when we got him he had had his dew claws removed and now just about a month ago I was cutting his nails and his one dew claw had began to grow back. Has this ever happened to anyone before? We are going to have him fixed soon so we will ask the doctor then. Is it going to be really painful for him now to have it removed? Thanks everyone.

Kris, Jessica & Lennox

8. TYS0NSM0MMA

TYS0NSM0MMA Boxer Booster

Dewclaws

I just rescued Sable nearly 2 weeks ago, she has her dewclaws and I am already seeing the numerous problems with boxers and dewclaws.. they just don't mix! She boxes with my other guy Tyson (no dewclaws) and you can tell that it could easily get caught when they are playing. She does use them like thumbs when she is chewing and when she is trying to get Tyson to the floor she holds him with her whole paw dewclaw included.

Sable is 3 years old. Is she too old to get them removed at this point? I don't want to subject her to the discomfort of having them removed, but I can tell she is going to tear one or both just by the way she is playing.. is the discomfort the better route then her tearing them or should I leave them? (looking for opinions)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.