1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dew claw growing back?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by LauraJean623, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LauraJean623

LauraJean623 Boxer Booster

Harley is 9 months old. She had her dew claws removed when she was just a couple or so days old. One of her dew claws seems to be growing back. It's not normal size, it's like a mini dew claw. Has anyone heard of this? If so, what happened? Is it something we'll have to have removed?

The next time we go to the vet we will have them take a look at it, but wondered if anyone has had this happen.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Dew claws have been known to grow back, if they haven't been removed properly in the first place.

3. 2boxerdogs

2boxerdogs Boxer Booster

Our puppy, Duke, has a dew claw that wasn't removed properly. It does have a tendency to grow to a certain length and then it breaks off after it gets so long. It is exactly as you described--a mini dewclaw. I asked our vet about having it removed when we had him neutered, but she refused saying it was cosmetic and she doesn't do anything cosmetic.

4. ssleighter

ssleighter Completely Boxer Crazy

Hammer also had a dew claw grow back. HOWEVER, my vet said "Oh we can just snip that off when we do his neuter"!! Had I known then what I know now, he'd still have that dew claw!

It wasn't a simple snip. No matter how hard I tried to keep his bandage and e-collar on he still managed to get it off a couple of times. The incision ended up getting infected and the poor guy was on antibiotics and in the e-collar for an additional ten days!! So two weeks of misery for Hammer! I wouldn't advise removing Duke's.

Just keep it trimmed like you would his other nails and it should be fine.

Sharon, Mom to Hammer & Ginger :D

5. LauraJean623

LauraJean623 Boxer Booster

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm just going to leave it alone then. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.