1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate for help

Discussion in 'Rearing puppies' started by hortonrac, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hortonrac

hortonrac Boxer Pal

Hi, all. I am desperate for help. My Rocky is 4 1/2 months old, and still not even close to being potty trained. He is on leash any time he's out of his kennel, and he won't go in the house if he's on leash. However, he has always peed in his kennel whenever he's in there for over an hour, and this past week starting pooping in there as well. I have fed him in his kennel to help prevent this, and it seems to be getting worse. Please, any advice would be so appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Rocky's momma

2. tianthai

tianthai Completely Boxer Crazy

I don't think you can expect much from a 4 1/2 month old puppy. Our puppy came to us when he was about 3 months old and I have been housebreaking him since (he is now going to be 6 months next week). He is better and better (4- 5 accidents a day to one in 10-14 days) because we prevent him from doing his potty inside the house by taking him as often. With 6 months he has not yet learnt how to tell us when he wants to be out.
    Perhaps it will help if you write a diary to record his "doing" in detail so you can see his pattern when he needs to poop. It sounds a bit weird but I was recommended by this forum to write the diary and I did, after a couple of weeks I could see his pattern very clearly. I am on tight schedule with Oscar. He eats 3 meals a day, always at the same time. Last treats are always 4 hours before bed time, last water is 2 hours before bed time.
    One golden rule to remember is always taking him first thing in the morning, last thing at night, after meal, after nap, before nap, after active play.
    Be patient and use a lot of treats when he does do his business outside.
    Good luck
    Oscar's mom

3. Kirby Kirb

Kirby Kirb Boxer Insane

How big is the crate? Normally dogs dont like to go to the washroom in there crate, but if the area is large enough, they will. (this way they can get away from it). Kirby did this too, but for a short time. Consistancy is the key. I would recomend bell training, and taking him out every 5-10 min, and when successful, lots of praise, and a treat!! Once there is a routine set, it wont take long at all! Do you keep a blanket or towel in the crate as well? Best of luck!! :)

4. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

You have to be careful they should not want to go in their crate so a couple of things could be the problem like what hortonrac suggested the crate may be too large ( now I hate to say that because I dont want someone who trying to cram a puppy in a too small crate ) The puppy needs to be able to stand up fully and trun around with out hitting the top of sides of his crate. Puppies have very small bladders you should feed and water the puppy on a schedule this will help very much then you should let the puppy play till it does its bussiness and dont put it back in its crate till it does! so maybe like wake up let puppy out, feed puppy take puppy outside let him explore play for a little bit then he will go then you can put him back in the crate. Remember he can't hold it very long. You should expect to have to take him out to go potty in the middle of the night or very early morning hours at this age. Good luck! There are some really super books on potty training but at this age he is still a baby.

5. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

My female peed in her crate for a long time. She caught on to potty training when she was loose in the house pretty fast but for some reason she did not have a problem peeing in her crate. When she was a puppy she slept in her crate & if she woke up before me in the morning she would almost always go pee in her crate. Also if I left her for more than two hours she would pee. As she got older she could last longer but nonetheless if she was in her crate & really had to go she would. She is 15 months now and has pretty much grown out of it (it’s been months since she has done that). I think some dogs would rather go in their crate than be uncomfortable. She has NEVER pooped in her crate.

I agree with the idea of bell training. Both mine are bell trained & its wonderful.

6. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

Both my girls peed in thier crates regardless of size, length of time, etc. I am not sure that clean den thing is a given. i think some just do. My girl is just 7 mos and though she has stopped the crate messing she will still have an occasional accident . I agree with "Oscar's Mom". The journal will help you learn the signals. It worked for me and I think we are almost there. Good luck! :)

7. furrykidmom

furrykidmom Completely Boxer Crazy

Ditto what Elubas is saying. Our girl has soiled in her crate from day 1 regardless of size. Unfortunately, she came from a situation where she did not have a choice. She will still pee in it. We are not sure if she is pooping in it still because she will eat it. Sorry for the gross factor. We have just learned to live with it. She does it a lot less now than she did as a young pup/dog probably because she has developed better muscle control but when the urge hits she lets loose. We just clean her bedding and give her a bath. One advantage of having a Boxer is that they wash, rinse and dry quickly with little grooming afterwards.

Be patient, it will improve in time.

8. Imoenboxers

Imoenboxers Boxer Booster

The key to toilet training......

Sorry to say guys, but I have always had my dogs toilet trained within a few days..... The ONLY way to toilet train in the house is consistancy and patience...

The only tips I can offer is take your dogs out to the toilet every hour. Take them out around 20 minutes after eating and 2-5 minutes after drinking... ALWAYS praise them when they toilet outside. To expect a puppy of less than 6 months old to hold toilet for more than 3-5 hours is just not reality. They have a very small bladder and bough at this age, and they fill up quickly.

If you are wanting to toilet train so that they don't go in the house, then you are going to have to be there. This includes their crates. No matter how old the dogs are, if they have to go while locked up, then they have to go..... This is probably why they are peeing and pooping in their crates... No consistancy and being left in there just that little too long......

I jump up and down and have treats on hand with my guys when toilet training for outside. When they do their business, then they get rewarded with an excited owner, plus treats. IF they look like they are about to go inside, then it is a quick "NO!
    Really loud, which stops them, then take them outside and reward....

As I said, Consistancy and patience are the key. Also a watchful eye....

For those who crate during the day, a pup CANNOT hold all day, so don't get cranky at them when they soil their crates after 4-5 hours... They have tried, but couldn't hold on!

Good Luck

Mel

9. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

Agree that most house breaking problems are "owner" error and my girl is completely reliable now at 7 mos but I never , even now, crate her for more than three or four hours, and much less than that when she was really young, but we still went through the pee in the crate period-my boy just never did it but my girls did. Remains a mystery to me but it does pass...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.