1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Descending/Retracting Testicles

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by sriley, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sriley

sriley Completely Boxer Crazy

Greetings!

I don't know how to express my concern without sounding like I'm checking out my dog's junk, so I'll just come right out and say what needs to be said :)

I have two pups, 16 and 13 weeks, and I am positive that both have had their testicles descend into position for quite some time. This morning, I noticed that one of Sarge's testicles has retracted back up into his abdomen as he was laying spread eagle on his back. Sarge is the younger of the two pups. There's a slight bulge just above and beside the descended testicle that I'm confident is the other previously dropped testicle. Can a dog's testicles descend and retract? Is it something I should be concerned about? Sarge is still quite young and I'm hopeful that his "bits" will fall into place without any problems. I'm just an over-paranoid mommy who needs a bit of reassurance from others who have similar experiences.

As always, I am most grateful for the knowledge and advice shared here.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

I really have no educational background on a dog's "junk....but my first thought was a hernia. My second was wondering if you were mistaking the swollen gland at the base of his penis as a descended testicle? When a dog lays down (as do men, lol) one testicle will rise above the other, or one hides under, so it may look like only one. Laying down isn't the best method, which is why they have men stand to do the "cough" test.

Look next time he is standing. That will give you the best result. One still may appear to "ride" higher than the other, but both should be visible. If only one is visible, then get him to the vet for a deeper evaluation. There are many things that can cause a testicle to "disappear". In an intact male there is hernia's, cancer, scaring and other problems to be concerned about.

3. sriley

Thanks, Lilylarue. I just checked him standing and I can only feel one testicle. I'm sure I didn't mistake the other "lump" for the base of his penis, but I suspect the "missing" testicle has retracted even further than it had this morning (if retracting testicles are even possible). I really hope I don't need to be worrying about cancer at 13 weeks of age! I just find it odd that Sarge had 2 dropped testicles and one has mysteriously disappeared.

4. sriley

Just to clarify, I suspect the testicle has further retracted because I can no longer feel the lump that was present this morning. Judging from what I've read about this issue, I understand that this can be pretty common and there's a good chance the other testicle can/will drop by 4 months of age. After 4 months, the chances decrease. Can anyone confirm this?

5. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Normally both testicles are well and truely descended by 6 weeks of age. It is possible that one or both testicles can ride back up into the abdomen - your pup would not be the only case of that happening.

The bad news for you though, is that the inguinal canal through which testicles descend closes permanently - usually at about 3 months of age. Whether retained or descended, the position the testicle(s) is in at the time of closure is where it's staying. Since your pup is only 13 weeks of age, there is probably some small chance of the missing testicle reappearing prior to the final closure of the canal. But if it's not there by the time he's about 4 months old, you can be pretty certain that it is not coming and the dog will be a cryptorchid. If that turns out to be the case, you would have another strong reason to neuter him prior to a year old (cryptorchid dogs must not be used for breeding - but more importantly, retained testicles can wrap around other organs and cause serious problems, or of course, later in life turn cancerous). None of that is an immediate issue of course, and in any case is easily solved with a neuter surgery :)

6. sriley

Update

The mysterious case of the disappearing testicle has been resolved. They're both back to where they should be for a pup Sarge's age. Thank you for the insight. BW is THE BEST! My only regret is that I didn't stumble upon this amazing site sooner. Thanks again :)

7. Lola's mum

Lola's mum Boxer Insane

That is good news appicon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.