1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression after being attacked?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by NoxLumen, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoxLumen

NoxLumen Boxer Pal

It's been a while since I've been on the forums, but a recent incident has brought me back here for some much needed advice. Earlier this week, (Sunday to be exact) my husband's aunt was walking our chihuahua like always. She came inside holding her and had told her that she was attacked by a pit bull the next street over. It took me a second to register what she said. We quickly wrapped her in a towel and went downstairs because a neighbor went and got her car (we don't have one) to take us to the emergency vet hospital a few miles away.

They couldn't do much since I was between paychecks and only had $40 to my name. But they cleaned her up a bit, wrapped her up (one of the punture wounds wouldn't stop bleeding), gave us some prescriptions and sent us on our way. Her recovery seems okay. She eats/drinks sporadically; only when she feels like it, though. I haven't given her medication since yesterday morning because she was throwing it up yesterday due to her little amounts of eating/drinking. Nothing is really worrying me except that she's really spaced out. She'll just sit there and stare off, if you call her, she'll look at you and wag her tail but that's about it.

Is she still in shock, maybe? What can I do to help her?

2. packblt

packblt Completely Boxer Crazy

So sorry to hear about this. I would take her back to the vet for another check. She could also be bruised but I would make sure she didn't lose too much blood and have low blood counts.

Sending healing ((((vibes))) and please let us know how she's doing

3. NoxLumen

NoxLumen Boxer Pal

The vet said that I have two weeks to schedule a free recheck to take another look at how she's healing. This Sunday will be a week since she was attacked, so I still have a little over a week to schedule an appointment for her. I want to give her a little more time to heal and such before taking her back.

4. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Maybe the meds are making her loopy?

5. NoxLumen

NoxLumen Boxer Pal

I thought that too, but she was all "spacey" even before we started giving her the meds. Due to her not really eating, I've been giving her the amoxicillin over the pain meds. She's holding it down better, but I'm going to give her some pain meds today. She seems to be doing better. Still kind of spacey but she's stretching (just a little) and is walking around a lot more. (not that I'm too fond of that idea)

6. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Could give her 1/2 dose on the pain meds and see how she does.

7. NoxLumen

NoxLumen Boxer Pal

That's actually a really good idea!

I think I'll give it a shot today when I get home from work.

8. TysonCheeto

TysonCheeto Completely Boxer Crazy

I would think the owner of the attacking dog , (Pitt bull) should be held accountable for his dogs actions. He really should be the one to pay your pups expenses so she can get the best treatment possible.

I know that's easier said then done, a family member of ours went through this year's ago. A neighbor's dog came into their yard and bit their dog, and the other owner refused to pay, so I know that entails a lot of possible hassle.

Would your regular vet be willing to see her and allow you to make payments? When we lost Tyson it was huge series of events that got costly, and because I was in good standing with my regular vet and came in often for things, she saw Tyson and allowed me to pay later. I know not all vets do that, but I think if your seeing your vet regular , it might be worth asking?

Hope she gets better soon :(

9. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I agree with Erin. Check with you regular vet and see if they will take payments. I would definitely get her in sooner rather than later.

10. TysonCheeto

TysonCheeto Completely Boxer Crazy

Hope everything is getting better, just wondering how she was doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.