Daughter has hives after playing with puppy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxerxlover

Boxer Pal
My 4 year old daughter has been getting hives after playing with our new puppy. We have had Tater for 8 weeks with no problems. She just started developing the hives last week. She has been around plenty of dogs on a regular basis with no signs of allergy. Has anyone heard of hives as a symptom of a pet allergy? We are at a loss and cannot find any cause for her symptoms. The dr. pretty much told us that we needed to figure out the cause.

Thanks!

shaebabybsw

Boxer Buddy
I know people can develop new allergies at any point in their lives, even when the same thing didn't bother them before. And yes, hives are a symptom of allergic reaction in a lot of cases. Have you started using any new products on your pup? Like shampoo, flea meds, etc.? Hopefully something like that is all it is and it can be remedied easily w/o having to choose between your beautiful pup and your precious daughter! Good luck!

KrisBoxerMom

Boxer Booster
Hi, I can relate to this very much. My5 year old daughter is allergic to dogs. She gets a runny nose, watery eyes and breaks out in excems. we did not notice this at first, it did take a few weeks like you. Every person is born with a thresh hold for allergins,(dust, pets, perfume..anything) and everyones is diffrent. Once that thresh hold is met, the body can not fight it off and runny nose, cough, hives, rashes,athsma can all occur from this, and not always right away. you say she is around other animals before with no problem, but she was not living with them every day, that makes a big diffrence. Also, have you tried giving the puppy a bath? she could be allergic to the shampoo. what about flea collar, or drops?
try giving the puppy a bath in diffrent shampoo, I use baby shampoo. Also thr changing flea products if you are useing them. do not use flea collars, they can make kids and people sick. I do not even think they work that great anyway. Also take your daughter to the doctor and see about allergy meds, My daughter is on singular and does great with it.
I hope this helps you and good luck!

harlie'smom

Boxer Insane
My husband and mother inlaw break out on there forearms with my fawn Harlie, thats when we know its bath time. Harlie has coarser hair then my other 2 and thats a big part of it. It kinda pricks the skin. Try a few mild shampoos and see if thats the culprit. Good luck.

My oldest son has allergies to certain types of dogs. (Not Boxers) He is allergic to their dander, hair and saliva. Sounds like your daughter may be having a reaction to the saliva since you only notice it after they play.

boxerxlover

Boxer Pal
Thanks for all of the advice and knowledge. It has been a week now and we are still breaking out in hives after playing with the puppy. My husband also noticed that she is sneezing around him. I am going to call and make an appointment with her doctor this afternoon. We are hoping that she is not allergic to Tater.

Damer1

Boxer Buddy
Our Sadie had the same effect on people for the first year of her life. After a year the effect went away.

I hope that helps

My 4 year old daughter has been getting hives after playing with our new puppy. We have had Tater for 8 weeks with no problems. She just started developing the hives last week. She has been around plenty of dogs on a regular basis with no signs of allergy. Has anyone heard of hives as a symptom of a pet allergy? We are at a loss and cannot find any cause for her symptoms. The dr. pretty much told us that we needed to figure out the cause.

Thanks!

BasilBox

Super Boxer
I have a friend who is a vet tech, and she is allergic to boxers. she gets hives if she does not wash up after touching them. she told me that this is the only dog breed she has this problem with. when they are small she is okay, but once they start to get older she is allergic to them. i hope that is not true for your daughter.

Tiesto

Boxer Pal
Me too

I am 27 and ever since we got our Tiesto I break out in hives when he licks me. I dont think I am alergic to the hair or dander, my eyes and throat are usually ok. I am fine as long as I stay away from his mouth, which we all know is hard with boxers. It is so bad for me that if he is laying on me with his head on my chest, the breath that goes through my shirt will make me get a rash there. It goes away after an hour or so. Oh well he is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.