1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cyst or tumor on back of leg??

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Cola Champagnes mommy, Oct 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cola Champagnes mommy

Cola Champagnes mommy Super Boxer

over this weekend i was reading one of my boxer books and checking out cola's stance (according to the book's diagram cola stands perfectly!) anway i am only mentioning that because on sunday i did not notice this cyst or tumor that she now has on her hind leg on the back side :(! i am very close with cola constantly hugging her and rubbing her so i would have definately noticed this! last night we were playing and when she turned to get her toy that's when i saw it. it looks dry and crusty, i touch it and it doesn't bother her. it is a lump, now what kind is the question. we are going to the vet tonight but i need your opinion. does this sound like a cancer tumor, i mean it grew over night!!!! help!:( :confused:

2. Brutus and Amaya's Mom

Brutus and Amaya's Mom Boxer Insane

I really don't know but Boxers are prone to all kinds of growths which are usually benign. Bru has had 2 non-cancerous growths removed and my current foster has 3 that were biopsied and are non-cancerous fatty tumors. Have it checked out but I am sure she will be fine.

3. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Susie had a lump like cyst on her leg also and the vet advised to leave it alone. It has gone away now, as did the lump in her throat area. It is a boxer thing. But, since you are going to the vet anyway, have him/her look at it and perhaps do a slide right then and there to see if it is just a cyst, fatty tumor or what. That will at least ease your mind about it.

Good luck. We'll be sending good thoughts your way.

4. nanabear

nanabear Banned

My Katie (waiting at the bridge) had a very similar sounding growth right near what we call the "butt-swirls" high on the back of one leg. It was dark and looked scabby and bled easily. It was removed, never came back - it was a histiocytoma (sp?) Mack had one on his foot, although it looked completely different - it was pink, raised and kind of warty looking (his was also removed).
    Boxers need all their lumps and bumps checked out. Good luck to you.

5. cadkens

cadkens Boxer Pal

Boxers are prone to lumps always good to have them checked out by a professional but no need to panic until you know for certain... ok! My boy had a lump that grew overnight too it turned out to be an infected subatious gland (sort of like a big pimple) in the end the infection went away but a lump remained calcified did not cause him any pain and no danger. Our loving pups also are prone to blood blister like growths they appear warty looking often black or very dark red.. and full of blood these to are not cancer and can appear over night... but should be removed by the vet so that they do not get infected or develop into cancer. Don't panic my friend just see the doc and get an informed answer.

6. younggun21

younggun21 Boxer Buddy

Cyst

My Chip has a similar cyst on the back of his ear, this thing is big and got big fast. I was told to leave it alone and it might pop or fall off by itself. That was a month ago now IM worried. I have an appointment with a vet this Thursday, he said it will require minor surgery. It bleeds every so often when he scratchs it. I hope it isn't anything bad because IM sick to my stomach about it. It dosn't seem to bother him I clean everyday. IM going to have the vet do a biopsy on it as well. Im just crossing my fingers.

Frankie proud pop to Chip "Off the ol' block"
    Male fawn 6 months old

7. JazznChase

JazznChase Boxer Insane

Chase had a big cyst on his outer part of his ear and when he went in to get fixed I told them to go ahead and remove it. Since I am terrified when I find ANY lumps on my dogs. I guess I am just a paranoid mom!;)

8. terris37

terris37 Guest

Wow how weird

My new baby Sugar just got one this morning on her left rear leg. It's about the size of a nickel, dry and crusty looking and easily bleeds. Well we will be of to the vet later today to have it checked out. Best wishes and good prayers going your way from all of our gang.

9. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

Re: Wow how weird

We just recently had one of these same exact things that turned out to be a lick granuloma. Now I swore up and down she never licked it but after keeping a very close eye on her after about 24 hours I caught her in the act smashicon They are a pain to treat because the licking becomes a habit which continues to reopen the skin but I used some spray called Garagen (prescription from the vet we originally got to treat urine burns) and it worked wonders. I hope yours is something as simple as this too. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.