Cyst - Gotten larger

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooper22

Boxer Booster
Cedar (4.5) had a small marble sized lump on the back of his neck between 1 - 2 years of age (I can't remember exactly when it arrived). We did a needle aspirate and found it was just a cyst. The recommendation at the time was to just watch it and see how it went since it wasn't anything to worry about. A few months ago I noticed it had seemed to flatten out so I took him back to the vet (different vet since I am in a different city). She agreed that it was a cyst and said just to keep an eye on it. The cyst is just under his skin and you can pick it up and move it freely of anything underneath. It is probably the size of a nickel across now. I am taking him back to the vet on Tuesday to discuss removing it since it appears to be getting larger. Am I just being paranoid that it could have turned into something cancerous recently? Literally it has been on his neck at least 2 1/2 - 3 years without any change until recently. . . Thanks for any thoughts.

Cami

Boxer Insane
A needle aspirate (sadly) isn't a 100% conclusive test. I have had things aspirated on my girl and told it was cancer, had it removed and it was something totally benign. I have had things aspirated and told it was a fatty cyst, ignored it only to have it get bigger and then once removed it was cancerous.
I think it is wise that you are having it checked out again. Sometimes with aspirates (when it is cancerous), they just don't pick up any cancerous cells with the sample when in fact they are there.
Not trying to scare you and hopefully this is just a fatty cyst that is nothing to worry about.
If it didn't start out cancerous (it really was/is a benign cyst), it won't have somehow turned into a cancerous growth because you didn't have it removed originally.
*If* it is cancerous, a mast cell tumor for example, it was all along they just missed it on the first aspirate (false/positive tests do happen).

mistydwilson

Super Boxer
Both of my older Boxers have had multiple cysts. They would just pop up one day and then stay the same for months or over a year. Our vet always wants to do needle aspirates when we first notice them because they are boxers and she is concerned about mast cell rumors. The cyst my boxers had would then start to grow one day, and seemed to get a lot bigger almost overnight. In a few days to maybe a week or two, the cyst just pops. This horrible smelling grayish puss would come out. Then it will go away. The first couple of cysts scared me when they would get bigger. I'm used to them now and know what to expect. Between the 2, they currently have 3 cysts that we are just monitoring. Good luck. Hopefully it is just a cyst.

cooper22

Boxer Booster
Cyst = Gone

I took Cedar into the vet yesterday because they have walk-in on Sunday's at no extra charge. The vet said she really did think it was a cyst still, but that we should take it off just to be safe. It has been there for three years so most likely it isn't anything. They used some lidocaine and were able to remove it completely. When she cut into it after it was removed it was really just a cyst (I asked if we needed to send it out, but she didn't feel that was needed). Cedar has 10 staples from the incision, but doesn't seem to even notice. At least it is gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.