cutting nails...HELP ME!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacied22

Boxer Buddy
ok, so I was cutting my dog's nails and she jerked real fast and I clipped her and she was bleeding. It took FOREVER to get it to stop! This has never happened before, but I'll admit we don't have to do her nails very often anyhow. But for future reference, what's the best thing to do in this situation?? I just treated it like I would with one of my kids. I cleaned it up real good then bandaged it because I didn't want her getting it dirty (which is driving her crazy!) Was that the right thing to do??

Doja's Mommy

Boxer Insane
go to your local pet store, they make stuff to stop the bleeding.... make sure you know how far back you can cut the nail.... with white nails its really easy to tell.....

lacied22

Boxer Buddy
ok thatnks, I'll hav to keep that in mind for future reference. Yeah....we've been doing her nails for 3 years and she's NEVER jerked like that before....she's always been really good about holding still for me. You're right, it IS easy to tell where to cut back to.....I just wasn't expecting her to move like that as I was cutting, that's what the problem was.

Doja's Mommy

Boxer Insane
Ohh, I see.....

well, your probably more of a pro than I am :) I haven't been doing it long, but Doja minds pretty well.... I tell her to stop if she pulls away... we struggle for a little bit, but then she realizes, okay, I better just let her do it, otherwise I will keep at it. eventually she just gives in.....

So I guess all you needed to know what about the stopping the bleeding.... Hopefully I helped with that :)

Vela

Boxer Insane
You can just use cornstarch or even just flour to help with the clotting, you don't need to get special styptic powder. I would probably let it get some air as well to help dry it out and heal. If it seems irritated being unwrapped perhaps only unwrap it when shes planning to sleep. Moist environments can grow bacterias and cause infection and its probably not necessary most of the time for that, unless its very bad.

harleyboxer

Super Boxer
I have used a tiny piece of toilet paper to stop the bleeding (like you would do if you cut yourself shaving). I don't really cook so I don't have flour!

buffym

Super Boxer
You can also drag her nail through a bar of soap!! I did this with my dog once and it worked great. Flour works really well also.

Status
Not open for further replies.