1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cut paw pad

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by junkyardhawg, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junkyardhawg

junkyardhawg Boxer Buddy

Looking for some advice on a cut paw pad (I searched but no joy).

I had Harley out in the woods last Friday and upon returning home I noticed he was bleeding from a deep cut in his paw pad. I cleaned it and tried to stop the bleeding. Later on I noticed it was still bleeding due to the pressure of him walking on it. So I took Harley to the vet who basically did nothing, except check it over and adivse to bath foot in salt water and it should heel over time.

As of today Harley is still limping, as the cut has not completely better.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated, as I dont like seeing my little guy in pain. How long would it take for a paw pad to recover? (checking before I take him back to the vets)

Thanks

2. boxer

boxer Boxer Insane

Well, it will depend on how deep the cut is, and how much it keeps getting opened by him walking on it. Generally speaking, it will heal fastest if it is not covered, and the vet's suggestion of bathing it in salt water is a good one - that will help to dry it out. I would suggest keeping that up (and you can put some antiseptic on it too, if there's any sign of infection) and avoiding him walking on it to the extent possible (obviously, it can't be completely avoided).

3. basak

basak Boxer Insane

From my experiences with Krose, who manages to cut himself a lot :rolleyes:
    paw cuts don't heal up that easy only because they walk on them.
    WHat I do:
    I pressurize the wound until it stops bleeding and try to make krose lay down for at least a while. He avoids walking on it too. Then I do nothing. (Of course if the cut is not very deep, otherwise I take him to the vet) It heals up by himself. Bandaging won't work, air dries and heals more quicker;)healing vibes your way))))))))

basak

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Pads are slow to heal. You need to be patient. You could try covering it when you go outside, to keep it clean, but I would take it off as soon as you come in. Tara cut her pad once and it was so slow to heal, but heal it did eventually.

5. totallyhip

totallyhip Boxer Insane

Luke cuts his pad alot too. It takes a long time to heal. What we did was wash it everytime after a walk with warm water and salt. Then we sprayed Bactine or antiseptic spray on it, let it dry and then put Polysporin (antibiotic cream) on it. Its alot of work, but the vet told us that you have to make sure to keep it clean:)

6. Muggsysmommy

Muggsysmommy Super Boxer

They have what is like liquid band aid for dogs. We got some from our vet when Muggsy had surgery. It forms like a protective layer on it so it has time to heal without being reinjured. You could call your vet and ask about it at least. It may protect it more while he is up and moving. I put poroxide (sp) on Muggs cuts. Keep it clean and keep an eye on it.Good luck!

7. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

Salt, or Epson salts?

Looks like you already got some fine feedback. Did your vet recommend table salt, or Epson salts? Epson salts can cure many an ill, so I would suggest it for a soak unless your vet said not to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.