1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crusty scabs and hair loss!

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by fmpirtle, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmpirtle

fmpirtle Boxer Booster

Poor Molly..there seems to ALWAYS be something wrong with her :( She probably goes to the vet way too much and I really need some help with this so here it goes..

My Bf's family has a boxer, Oliver. He has always had skin conditions such as hair loss and crusty bumps all over his body. He eats terrible food and at one time I thought he had a food allergy but, now I am wondering if it is scabies/mange etc?! Molly plays with him often and recently starting getting the crusty bumps as well. She is losing her hair in patches around the bumps and they are itchy. My question is could she have possibly contracted whatever this is from him?!

We have been using the same laundry detergent, bath products etc and she is on Solid Gold. She has had 3 round of antibiotics because she seems to keep a UTI accompanied with green mucus ( yuck I know) I am at a loss and sometimes I wonder if my vet is clueless. HELP!

2. kristan

kristan Boxer Pal

Possibly sarcoptic mange???? AKA scabies?

I would suggest taking both of them to the vet for a skin scrape to check for mites.

Best of luck to you!

3. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

Where are the scabs and hair loss mostly located at? If it is the bum and neck area, I would guess fleas? Some dogs are allergic to fleas and when they get bit by them, it sends their skin into a frenzy. When Brady picks up a flea, he gets welts which later turn into scabs and he gets bald spots from scratching. Even if you use a topical flea treatment, the fleas still bite, causing the reaction. After they bite, they die. Are fleas a possiblity?

4. fmpirtle

fmpirtle Boxer Booster

The scabs are on the middle part of her back. I am at a loss and today although they really arent itching her the hair is still coming out?!?!

5. perduemt

perduemt Boxer Pal

staph infection?

My Kirby had scabby areas and hair loss on the sides his neck. I was thinking mites but they did skin scrape and it was not mites. His did not seem itchy though. The Vet decided it was a staph infection and it took a couple rounds of antibiotics to clear up. Good Luck.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  6. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

Brady's start at the base of his tail and go the whole way up the middle of his back when he has the flea reaction. I would go to the vet as they will be able to tell you what exaclty it is and treat it. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.